Midlands Show - Good to meet you all

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

It was excellent to put a face to the "names" at the Midlands show today.

I was really pleased to meet up with trevtheturner, bean and Davel. Hope you all got back safely.

The show was smaller than last year and personally I wondered whether it will run again next time. The other Midlands show, later in the year, is much bigger and at a really good venue.

I managed to buy some Chair Doctor glue from the very quiet Brimarc stand. It was a pleasure to be able to walk around and actually be able to see things and talk to the staff. I looked at the Veritas planes and also the Cliftons, but managed to save my money for the Camvac dust extraction unit and a few clamps.

There were no real offers that I saw and it was only after a bit of haggling that I got the price of the clamps just below the normal Xpress price.

All the best
Neil

PS Gill, you'll just love those clogs.

Newbie_Neil":34h2twj7 said:
I looked at the Veritas planes
Sob. :cry:

So folks, did Neil remember to say who he was, or did he forget to log in...? :wink: (Sorry, Neil, just kidding :oops: )

Cheers, Alf

This was the first show I have ben to in a long time. Its was great, not too crowded. I got to fondle all sorts of things I could not afford to buy :shock:

I enjoyed the friendly atmosphere and it was good to meet with some of you chaps.

The wooden feet proved a good means of making contact :lol: , I am glad Neil bought stuff from the Camvac stand, the chap seemed quite worried by my loitering. I was getting ready to dash off if the men in white coats appeared with that nice canvas jacket :roll:

Neil,

Glad you had a good day out. Which Camvac unit did you get? Gary, the guy usually on the stand, is a decent enough bloke.

Rgds

Noel

Hi all
As neil say its good to put a face to a name.

DaveL I love the clogs, wish I had a pair :cry: Glad to see you got home OK.

Alf I very nearly bought a bull nosed plane simply because it was there.............I'm frightened :shock:

And those cliftons look far better than the Veritas Planes which looked dull and uninspiring, the Clifton Man had to use a bar to prise the No. 3 out of my hands, but I did manage to keep the shavings.

Bean

I took a few pictures at the show
Dscn2319s.jpg

Now I have no problem making 8 chairs but..............
Dscn2317s.jpg

What do you think then James?
And now one for Alf, not new planes but nice old ones
Dscn2313s.jpg

Looks like a decent show. I had hoped to go and meet Bean (at last) Neil and Dave but family (in-laws) got in the way. Glad you enjoyed it and see you all at the next midlands show

Tony

Hi, Alf,

Yep, Neil did log in - spot on at the appointed place and time. It was a pleasure to meet him and bean and Dave L and have a good chat. Thanks for the drink, Neil. Much appreciated in that glorious, warm sunshine.

I agree that there was perhaps not so much there as previously in the way of trade stands, but there were some superb pieces of work exhibited to look at. Agree, too, not much in the way of bargains although I did order some bits of kit I want from Robert Sorby when, although they didn't seem to be advertising it, I noticed their prices were considerably less than shown in their catalogue. Turned out that for all goods either purchased or ordered at the show they had reduced prices by the equivalent of the VAT element - so an excellent 17.5% discount! :lol:

Had the opportunity for a close inspection of Dave's footwear - very impressive and I may become a convert, making a visit to Jeremy in due course as he's only about 10 miles from where I live.

An excellent day out although the two-hour drive home became somewhat prolonged by hostelry visit, for steak & chips :roll: , on the way, so arrived home at 11pm (sorry for this off-topic bit :oops:)

Trev.

Hi Alf

Newbie_Neil":3nkbjdy6 said:
I looked at the Veritas planes

I put that bit in especially for you. I forgot to say that on the Clifton stand I had a personal demonstration of how to plane a straight edge. It was just wonderful to see a craftsman at work.

Alf":3nkbjdy6 said:
So folks, did Neil remember to say who he was, or did he forget to log in...?

I'm just over six foot and when I looked up I thought thats Trevor. I cheated because I had been practising the night before, as Matthew, my son, is also six foot five.

I recognised DaveL by his wonderful footwear. In fact, with the price of cherry today,I nearly made off with his clogs. :wink:

All the best
Neil

Hi Noel

Noely":9vd8cem3 said:
Glad you had a good day out.

Thank you.

Which Camvac unit did you get?

gv286w.jpg

Gary, the guy usually on the stand, is a decent enough bloke.

Yes, he was fine. As Trevor was also going to buy another unit, I managed to get a really good deal. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Back