Mid range/budget chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Picalilli

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Looking for some advice on some chisels to get started with as beginner. Not wanting to spend crazy money but don’t mind up to £100 for a set or maybe £50 or so for a couple of good ones separate (seen some advise just buying a couple to begin rather than a whole set)

anyone used the Axminster rider chisels? Is it the case that they’re made by Narex? I’ve been considering one of the narex sets of 4.
I’ve thought about maybe getting the marples red and yellow handled ones too.

the kirchen chisels Axminster sell seem reasonably mid-range price too. Had a search on the site for threads on this but theres surprisingly few of them (loads on sharpening them though!)

been keeping an eye out for the lidl/aldi ones that Paul sellers seems to love but not sure if they still do them anymore.

I was setting up a temporary bench and kit of tools when I was in the US last year and bought some very basic chisels, (Plastic handle short blades from their equivalent of B&Q) I was very surprised at how good they were, whilst I realise that isn’t overly helpful the point I’m trying to make is that you don’t need to spend a lot of money to be able to do the work to a good standard. Ian (professional Cabinetmaker)
Ps you won’t go far wrong with the Marples.

You'll be waiting a while to pick up Lidl ones. They are fine but not worth waiting for.

The Narex 8116 are decent enough Narex Chisels - 8116 Cabinetmakers Chisels Set of 6 (nat). If a set is a bit rich, just buy a 6mm 12mm and 25mm. They sell them separately.
Cheers. They do look good but the set (and lots of the singles even) seem sold out. So much is sold out right now, think it must be covid supply issues.
Might actually buy a couple of singles of different brands and see how they feel

I was setting up a temporary bench and kit of tools when I was in the US last year and bought some very basic chisels, (Plastic handle short blades from their equivalent of B&Q) I was very surprised at how good they were, whilst I realise that isn’t overly helpful the point I’m trying to make is that you don’t need to spend a lot of money to be able to do the work to a good standard. Ian (professional Cabinetmaker)
Ps you won’t go far wrong with the Marples.
Thanks - the marples do look good and are temptingly low priced. I assume these are good/precise enough to get started on dovetails etc? I’d like to ‘future proof’ a bit if I can even though I’m just starting out, guess with them being that reasonably priced I can always upgrade later on...need to budget for a couple of decent saws too...

save up and get the narex richter chisel set from workshop heaven, worth every penny, best chisels I've ever used, they will last you a lifetime. I have the cabinetmaking chisels also by narex which was my first set, they are certainly good value but not in the same league, the handles are too fat for my tastes.

Last edited:
For a woodworking starter set go on ebay and find yourself a set of Stanley 5001 plastic handled chisels. Maybe not sexy but always found the steel top notch.
Any of the big names are good, just comes down to preference, especially when you get into carving gouges.
A set of six has just been added to ebay. £20.00 starting price. I've had the five set since my 21st birthday 1981. Also picked up a few extra at car boots for a quid here and there. No complaints from me.

I started with a set of 4 Marples ones from eBay for £20 ish. Then bought another set of Stanley fatmax ones for £6. All used, of course.

Now having achieved a satisfactory level of sharpening with my setup, I use the Stanley ones, which are chunkier, on sort of rough jobs and use the Marples ones on finer work.

I cut out some inlay stuff recently on a picture frame and I couldn't be more pleased with the results.

Especially as a beginner, my advice to you is to buy used Marples or something, there are tons about and spend the change of £100 budget on a good sharpening system.

Then, if you really get into it, you can invest at a later stage in a fancy set.

It really doesn't matter what you get as long as the chisels that you get aren't defective.

I have 3 of the Marples yellow-and-red plastic handled chisels - 1", ½", and ¼". I've had for decades and can't fault them. If you buy decent quality secondhand chisels you may have to do a bit more sharpening, but new ones will need that too.

A set of six has just been added to ebay. £20.00 starting price. I've had the five set since my 21st birthday 1981. Also picked up a few extra at car boots for a quid here and there. No complaints from me.
Thanks for the heads up. Wondering what the max bid should be for these. Are they better than the marples would you say?

I started with a set of 4 Marples ones from eBay for £20 ish. Then bought another set of Stanley fatmax ones for £6. All used, of course.

Now having achieved a satisfactory level of sharpening with my setup, I use the Stanley ones, which are chunkier, on sort of rough jobs and use the Marples ones on finer work.

I cut out some inlay stuff recently on a picture frame and I couldn't be more pleased with the results.

Especially as a beginner, my advice to you is to buy used Marples or something, there are tons about and spend the change of £100 budget on a good sharpening system.

Then, if you really get into it, you can invest at a later stage in a fancy set.
Thanks. Think I’m leaning towards the marples ones. Like the fact that they look a bit more durable too. I’ve actually already got sharpening stone as I bought an old Stanley no4 and restored it, so I’ve got an Axminster double sided diamond stone and have a scrap of leather im planning on making a strop with. I’ve got a whetstone but keep that in the kitchen for the knives. Seem to be buying things in an usual order!
I need to actually sort the garage out into a workshop and do quite a few boring things in there before I can start to get set up. Once it’s ready I’ll start with a bench build (but that’s a topic for a whole Other thread!)

I saw those as well, I was tempted by those myself! Must not buy, must not buy, must not buy.....lol.

Thanks for the heads up. Wondering what the max bid should be for these. Are they better than the marples would you say?
I think they are marvellous, tough handles and seriously good steel for the price. Put a watch on eBay for marples and Stanley and see what comes up. The 5001’s go for nothing sometimes if you buy in two lots and build a set.

Another vote for Sheffield-made Marples Splitproof (yellow and red) chisels. They come up for sale quite regularly and are great quality. I’ve also got a couple of the newer Irwin Marples chisels made in the Far East and they are fine too, not as bad as many would make out.
I treated myself to a set of Lie Nielsen chisels a few years ago when visiting family in the US but tend to gravitate to the Marples chisels for most things - I look after them but am less precious about them and therefore enjoy using them more.

The only Marples I have are ancient mortice chisels with wooden handles that I've picked up from here and there over the years. I have no complaints with those either. I've never heard a bad thing about Marples so I imagine they must be good. As for the bid, I would just watch until near the end of the auction and as with any auction, have the maximum bid in your head and if they have not gone passed that maximum place your whole maximum bid with seconds to go. It will still only sell at the next bidding price and not necessarily you max bid. Forgive me if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs.

Back