Microsoft Windows 10 Pop Up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Reported on the BBC news this morning that Microsoft have put a Pop Up for W10 and if you click the cross automatically it actually starts installing.

Have not seen it yet on my W7pro but how do you close down without being forced into installation?

Windows 10 is fine just as stable as 7 and the differences in use are small easy to get use to and its free, but not for much longer.

I bit the bullet in the last couple of weeks and upgraded my wife's pc from 8.1 to 10, and it went fine after freeing up some extra system space allocation, so did my own one last week and no issues at all, took about 20 minutes. Little visible change from a user perspective and no real problems.

Cheers, Paul

But my Windows 7pro lets me use Xp programs, so will windows 10 let me.?

What happens if I would crash W10, I do not have a disk for that in the future what happens then?

John, You have options to run older programs in compatibility mode which takes care of most if not all problems.

A google search for "does XXX run on windows 10 in compatibility mode" should throw up the obvious answer.

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/set-c ... windows-10

Stop applying your own tweaks and generally trying to outsmart the operating system and Windows 10 stays stable and just gets on with doing its thing.

I've been running windows 10 in pre release versions and since auto upgrade and apart from a couple of niggles where it wants to drag me into the more modern APPS mode of working if I choose the defaults rather than me doing my own gear changing I find it the easiest to use version so far.

I upgraded from 7 to 10 with only 1 minor solvable problem and all my old software still works.

Update :-as of 29 July Microsoft will no longer be offering windows 10 as a free upgrade to windows 7 and 8+.
Do not be afraid of up grade process i am 70 years old and have done it on two desktops and two laptops just click sit back and restart when instructed. and always remember google is your friend to resolve problems if any.

As an IT professional I would say that Windows 10 falls into the classic Microsoft "ever other OS is good" scenario. XP - Good, Vista - oh dear, Windows 7 - Good, Windows 8 - "What start button?" Windows 10 - Good. Why not upgrade now as its free. It won't be long before you try and run a new programme and find that it doesn't run of XP or 7. I would say Vista but I can't seriously believe anyone still using it hasn't committed suicide by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lack of windows media player, windows media player or any means of playing dvds out the box means I reverted straight back to windows 7!

I needed to use my lap top today for something quite important. I am on windows 8-1. When switching on there was a message on the screen saying that it was installing Windows 10. Nothing I could to stop this. 2 hours later it said updates had been installed and it was now updating files etc.
I DON'T WANT windows 10. I DON't need it. After about another hour my computer said Welcome to windows 10.
I was then asked to read and agree to their conditions. I pressed decline but it warned me to go back to my windows 8-1 would take time.
How can they do this without my permission. First of all they offer it free and now they are forcing it on you. Anyway after about another hour I am back on my old system thank goodness.

Alan.

There are several Free DVD players available VLC being one of them.

Either as an App from the Windows Store or a standalone Program file from http://www.videolan.org/.

Media player is still in Windows 10 but restricted to system or network playing of videos,

Anti Monopoly Pressures are I believe the reason for MS leaving out the DVD play function.

Thanks. I was aware of the above but my home theatre pc would launch directly into the native media centre and it just worked for many years. "Upgrading" to win10 left me trying all these silly work arounds for things that used to just work. It wasn't worth it. Win7 for the foreseeable!

Latest posts

Back