Microsoft Onedrive lost my files ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Samsung Smartphone and just got this message

The OneDrive storage bonus you redeemed by activating OneDrive on your Samsung device will expire 3/20/2022 and you'll be over your new storage limit.

So I go into OneDrive and there are no files. So how come ? How can I be over my storage limit!

There so much angles to this story.
- message could be most likely fraud
- you did not log into “this” OneDrive, as you might have two separate logins emails used
- you have new phone with settings to store all info with no room, and it will not do it as whole date goes over you limit.
- you sat on your phone, recorded 5h video of your internal part of pocket, your phone can take it, OneDrive system not have that space for it

I would go for fraud sale to upgrade, of 2 separate logins.

PS. Remember that OneDrive not guarantee safety not existing of your stored files.

I may be missing something here but why don't you just set your phone to store files on your removable mini SD card in the phone ?

Every mobile phone I've ever had has a micro SD card slot you just insert a micro SD card and set your files to store on the SD card and you can use the built in backup feature to backup everything to the card as well .

If you have a laptop or computer you can also use the phone USB charging lead to download your files to that for safe storage. You'll need to download a Samsung program from the Net and then when you plug your phone into the PC it will show as just another storage and you can transfer files both ways
https://www.computerworld.com/artic...ove-data-between-your-phone-and-computer.html

IT pro here
Companies use these emails to scare people into buying their services.
The data size is probably taken from your phone even though it is not syncing to OneDrive.
If you have a backup then no need to worry.

Remember you only have a backup if you can prove the files are recoverable from the backup service

I have a Samsung Smartphone and just got this message

The OneDrive storage bonus you redeemed by activating OneDrive on your Samsung device will expire 3/20/2022 and you'll be over your new storage limit.

So I go into OneDrive and there are no files. So how come ? How can I be over my storage limit!
This is a very common problem caused by Samsung's failed partnership with Microsoft's OneDrive service, and also their attempt to get customers to use Samsung Cloud.

Until recently if you bought a new Samsung [Android] phone it tried to get you to create a Samsung Cloud account which then created a OneDrive account. The confusion is that Android phones automatically backup and sync with a Google Cloud account for contacts, photos, downloads and some apps. Samsung didn't make it clear to users whether some of their data was going to Samsung cloud/OneDrive or Google. And annoyingly, once OneDrive disappears from Samsung phones, Samsung will be hoping users switch across to backing up on Samsung Cloud. Many will do this inadvertently.

You need to log into your Google account on a PC preferably using a Chrome browser and make sure all the data from your phone is backing up and synchronising into Google cloud. Chrome let's you navigate to photos, contacts and Drive which is where some of your app data will be stored. Your phone's entire configuration can also be backed up so that's worth checking. If you think anything is missing, you might find some of your data is going to Samsung Cloud or OneDrive.

There is lots of information about this on the Internet as its been causing confusion for a few years now.

There are 3 types of people in the IT world. Those that have lost data, those that will, & those that have done both. I fall into the both category. Never trust anyone else's computer, which is what cloud backup is. I have a NAS drive which is set up in a RAID configuration and everything IT in the family backs up to that. The NAS drive then backs up/syncs to another portable hard drive so in effect I have 3 copies of all the data/files.

Probably because your new storage limit is zero.

As someone else said, a scare tactic to push you into buying storage you don't need.

Just to be sure to be sure, log into MS OneDrive from a PC and check what is there.

I usually disable all this sh$t when I get a new device.

We have a 5 license Office 365 that maintains synchronised cloud storage for all our files and photos across 3 laptops and two phones. It works extremely well but I also have two 1Tb external drives that I use to make occasional backups albeit not as often as I should. Strangely, I had the same notification from Samsung not long after I bought my phone so I double checked that it had nothing to do with our Office 365 account.

+ one for the earlier suggestion to use a web browser to access Microsoft Onedrive on the web to check this. Assuming your files did get properly synced to Onedrive they are extremely unlikely to have been lost. Even if your limit gets set to lower than your file sizes add up to you can still read them, just not write or rewrite files, until you remove some stuff or increase your limit. Use a browser to access Microsoft Onedrive, using a link you know is correct, not a link in an email, so you are sure you really are accessing Onedrive, and see if you can see your files. That should give you some confidence they are safe. Then you can work on getting access back. About the only way to lose them is to delete them all, when you can possibly undelete anyway, or delete the account in which case you will not be able to login.

Advantage with using a cloud based storage is:
1. They are actually very secure, if you use a reputable company.
2. The files are then accesssible from multiple devices, as long as they are syncing properly.
3. Many cloud companies have version control so you can go back to an older version of your file if needed.
4. You can buy what you need.
5. You won't lose your stuff if your computer (phone, tablet, laptop), or your usb pen drive or hard disk, is lost, stolen or damaged.
6. You can share with others.
There are of course disadvantages and you need to decide if you are confident with their security, but in reality if you think that Microsoft Onedrive are going to access your files without your permission then you have to consider they may have remote access to your PC etc. anyway. There is of course a bit more to that but the concept is there. Microsoft Onedrive also has an extra secure system you can use but I am not sure if that costs more.

Remember that if you store stuff on sd card, usb thumb/pen drive, hard disk etc. then you need to encrypt it properly or it is not secure if someone else gets hold of it. Also you will lose it if it is lost, damaged or stolen.

You can use an external hard drive or thumb/pen drive straight into a tablet or phone usb (micro/usb c) port if you use an "on the go" cable, this just sort of reverses the attachment so the phone/tablet can access the drive as long as it has enough power to drive it.

This is a very common problem caused by Samsung's failed partnership with Microsoft's OneDrive service, and also their attempt to get customers to use Samsung Cloud.

Until recently if you bought a new Samsung [Android] phone it tried to get you to create a Samsung Cloud account which then created a OneDrive account. The confusion is that Android phones automatically backup and sync with a Google Cloud account for contacts, photos, downloads and some apps. Samsung didn't make it clear to users whether some of their data was going to Samsung cloud/OneDrive or Google. And annoyingly, once OneDrive disappears from Samsung phones, Samsung will be hoping users switch across to backing up on Samsung Cloud. Many will do this inadvertently.

You need to log into your Google account on a PC preferably using a Chrome browser and make sure all the data from your phone is backing up and synchronising into Google cloud. Chrome let's you navigate to photos, contacts and Drive which is where some of your app data will be stored. Your phone's entire configuration can also be backed up so that's worth checking. If you think anything is missing, you might find some of your data is going to Samsung Cloud or OneDrive.

There is lots of information about this on the Internet as its been causing confusion for a few years now.
Spot on, thanks.

Probably because your new storage limit is zero.

As someone else said, a scare tactic to push you into buying storage you don't need.

Just to be sure to be sure, log into MS OneDrive from a PC and check what is there.

I usually disable all this sh$t when I get a new device.
No, it specifically say a 5GB but no matter. I realise I don't need it thanks to MamTor !

Back