Microsoft Edge: how do I get rid of it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
The damn thing appeared on my screen last night, and there appears to be no way of getting rid of it. If anyone else did this it would treated at a cyber attack. Does anyone know what I have to do to rid myself of this plague?

Unfortunately you cant! MS has made it so that it cannot be deleted. All you can do is to load another browser, for example Firefox and make it your default. You can remove remove edge from your taskbar by right clicking the logo and taking it off the task bar. I too have suffered by having to spend an hour resetting my computer after MS has updated my computer and removed all my normal settings like mail, browsers, etc. No wonder I often revert to using Linux!

Yorkshire Sam":2y5c61sm said:
Unfortunately you cant! MS has made it so that it cannot be deleted. All you can do is to load another browser, for example Firefox and make it your default. You can remove remove edge from your taskbar by right clicking the logo and taking it off the task bar. I too have suffered by having to spend an hour resetting my computer after MS has updated my computer and removed all my normal settings like mail, browsers, etc. No wonder I often revert to using Linux!

Can you not disable MS from automatically updating ?

MikeG.":2c1hd4fu said:
The damn thing appeared on my screen last night, and there appears to be no way of getting rid of it. If anyone else did this it would treated at a cyber attack. Does anyone know what I have to do to rid myself of this plague?

Buy a Mac ? :wink:

No you can't disable updates, and that's a good thing. One of the risks to security of all users via things like DDOS attacks and phishing emails to your contact list is the user who never updates and never installs security patches so Win 10 forces your hand.

On Win 10 Pro you have a bit more control over timing. On Win 10 home you can trick the system a bit but you get nagged.

Install Chrome, Firefox, Opera or whatever and set as default browser, you might need to reset that default after major Win 10 version updates but normally it 'sticks' through the regular ones. Edge will still open in some circumstances, for instance if you use 'help' in MS apps like excel it's hard wired to use Edge to access the MS help pages. If you really don't want to use Edge for that, don't use help from the programme, instead put your how to question in the search bar of your preferred browser.

IE was an add on, when Edge came along it became a core part of the system. If you use the Win 10 search bar it uses edge technology to search your machine and the outside world.

It has pretty good privacy option configuration, I never used IE but now use Edge some of the time.

Yes, there are buy a Mac and just use Linux supporters. All have their plus and minus and I'm sure a good argument will follow.

I use Linux on my computers and have for about eleven years.The work laptop,which has a very good spec ,runs Windows 10 and there is much about it that I don't like.So I did what has been recommended here and added Firefox as a browser and then thinned out the clutter on the taskbar.There isn't too much of the preferred Microsoft stuff left there now and Cortana won't be hearing from me.I really do think we have reached the point where "improvements" seem to be a function of keeping software developers employed .Awaiting incoming from some of the breed telling me how important security is.While I might agree with that aspect,I don't need slightly different icons in slightly different locations on order to carry out the same old functions.

Yorkshire Sam":2k6cq2ey said:
Unfortunately you cant! MS has made it so that it cannot be deleted. All you can do is to load another browser, for example Firefox and make it your default..........

Thanks......that's all I needed to know. I already use another browser.

RogerS":1495433t said:
MikeG.":1495433t said:

Buy a Mac ? :wink:

Autocad and Mac.........they don't talk to each other.

MikeG.":2xme4zv6 said:
Wait till you find out the Government has installed a tracking app on your phone.

I doubt that the government knows as much about any of us as the empires of Microsoft,google,Apple,Facebook and Amazon have at their fingertips.I also seriously doubt that any of us reads the entirety of the EULA agreement before clicking on the "I agree" icon.

Not you then Mike but the covid tracker app was rolled out a few days ago to all phones and is only just now making the news.
For anyone other than Mike, go to settings and search 'covid' and it should be visible.

Bm101":23n5hm2g said:
Not you then Mike but the covid tracker app was rolled out a few days ago to all phones and is only just now making the news.
For anyone other than Mike, go to settings and search 'covid' and it should be visible.

Before anyone gets frightened, this is the interface for tracker apps, not a tracker app. It does nothing unless you (voluntarily) download a tracker app.

The UK app (world-beating, natch) is a fraction delayed, I wouldn't worry until the Autumn. Or later.

I have a currently unused covid tracker on my phone also in case I contract it. My aim was not to scaremonger or encourage the use of foil hats so thanks for clarifying.

Bm101":2ryom2al said:
I have a currently unused covid tracker on my phone also in case I contract it. My aim was not to scaremonger or encourage the use of foil hats so thanks for clarifying.

The point of a tracker app is to find the people you infected before you became symptomatic, not for other people to keep away from you.

Latest posts

Back