Microjig instead of T-track

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beech1948

Established Member
Reaction score
I am rebuilding my workshop layout because it has become a bit outdated...just like its owner. Part of my new set-up will potentially include "lots" of T-track as well as a large multi-function 8x4 bench with holes in it.

The sheer cost of the T-track made me stand back and take a breath. We are talking in well in excess of £200....WTF. I have started to look for cheaper supplies of T-track and have found the Microjig concept which used 14 degree dovetails instead of T-track.

I could combine this with holes and a grid of 14 degree tracks.
Microjig hardware is not too expensive and I will be in the US in August (Covid willing) and could buy there to save more.

Its not that I need to save the money but a lifetimes habits of frugality are hard to overcome. T-track is very expensive in the UK. I know not why but it is. A few lengths may look reasonable but the amount I had planned seems to costly.

Comments.

As an alternative to microjig, Axminster do a router bit to create a t slot that will take track clamps, a bit cheaper than the microjig stuff.

It is a good approach to save some money, however with T tracks, if they are knackered, they can be replaced over time, if you are cutting into the wood and after a while they are knackered, you are effectively throwing away a bench top.

Instead what you can do is engineer a layout for your bench with fewer Ttracks but of good quality such as incra (really not that much more money than the cheap stuff but so much better in quality)
Then perhaps watch some videos on "viceless workholding"

If you have dog holes you can buy an sorts of things at a later date so that you don't need to shell out big now.

You can even leave some space for a future t track installation.

I'm all for being thrifty (Being Indian, it is in my blood!) but quality pays in the long run.

Food for thought.

For inspiration, take a look at the Ruwi products in this video from Manor Wood on youtube for more ideas.
Slots can be routed and MFT dog holes can be used for clamping. Maybe you don't need T track at all.
It's expensive but looks v versatile. If you google "manor wood ruwi" it features in a few videos.
I always wondered how much clamping force you can get before ripping T track out of the base material. It's only fastened down with tiny screws. I like Axminsters dovetail profile T track when I do use it as it will be more secure.

The T-track route will be the most cost effective in the longer term. It's not going to wear anywhere near as much as machined dovetailed slots and has the added advantage of breaking down the actual worktop into discrete areas. This will make it much easier and cheaper to repair / replace your work surface in the areas that need replacing as opposed to the entire top. You will also be able to get more clamping T-track options than the micro-jig offerings and potentially offer stronger clamping force.

I had a similar dilemma with a large format CNC table. I toyed with vacuum, T-tracks, dog holes and a whole raft of similar options. The T-track option won hands down (with some dog holes) because of the ability to effectively use the top as the spoil board as it is now easier to change sections as opposed to the entire top. I can also use the CNC itself to machine the replacement sections covering the entire area which wouldn't be possible typically. Dog holes also make sense in addition to the track as you can align work relevant to a track saw or as stops for clamping, etc. You have other options in work holding and in some cases dog holes will allow lower profile holds. Whilst I appreciate this may seem irrelevant for non CNC users the same principles are there.

I'm with bp122's comments up there ^, quality pays in the long run. If the budget is an issue, buy less but buy better.

Back