MicroFence Mini Review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I never got to actually use it (here's why), but I thought I might as well give you what impressions I did get. For detail I highly recommend a long look at their website

Cheers, Alf

Manufacturer: MicroFence
Model: Edge Guide
Price/Price range: £130+ as far as I’m aware. Contact Woodworkers Workshop for more info.
Recommended user: Serious hobbyist/pro. Anyone who’s always wished there was a really accurate router fence on the market.
Pros of machine: Very precise adjustment, no backlash or slop, high quality components. Whole range of additional bits and pieces. Available in both imperial and metric.
Cons of machine: Price :(
Rating out of 10: 10/10 for quality, manual etc; value depends on how much you’d want/use it.
Better than/worse than other machines of the same type: I would consider it the best built piece of modern woodworking kit I’ve seen. It oozes quality. Plastic? Wazzat den? :wink:

Alf,

I really like your review format inc hyperlinks - concise and to the point. I think this is a good basis for members reviews.

cheers

Ike

Alf,

It looks like I've given your thread the kiss of death or summat Maybe I'd better stop posting!

Ike,

LOL :lol: I don't think so; I assume everyone's in shock that I can do a short review! :oops: Anyway... Yeah, the format was based on the one suggested in the thread about having star ratings etc. I thought I'd give it a whirl, and it's certainly better than nothing. If it gets a few more people reviewing their kit then that'd be good. Ooo look, is that a hint I've just dropped there...? :twisted: :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Nice looking bit of kit and no plastic blimey thats a turn up but £130 for it maybe a bit steep but it does look the biz , but thats on par with a router table fence :lol:

Alf":29gtzsez said:
I assume everyone's in shock that I can do a short review! :oops:
Not at all - just trying to overcome the shock of you doing a review that isn't plane-based :wink:

Nice review BTW!

Me to Alf. Shocked at the lack of planes and the connection to a tailed device!

I like the review format and the hint. I shall try to follow your lead with my, wait for it, upcoming review of the AIs

I deeply resent the suggestion I'm purely plane fixated.

If I thought anyone would be interested I could go on about saws, braces, gouges... :p :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3quuypqm said:
I deeply resent the suggestion I'm purely plane fixated.
My apologises Alf. Didn't mean to cause offense. I don't know for the life of me where the idea came from. :wink:
What about chisels... can you go on about them too?
I'm getting really bored of constantly sharpening my cheap set. They can't hold an edge for two minutes :cry:

Aragorn":3vahmhi0 said:
What about chisels... can you go on about them too?
Oh yes. :D

Mind you, they're complicated. First you have to get the terminology right, and not everyone agrees what's what. No handy benchmark like the Stanley numbers for chisels see? It's something I'd like to do on my website in fact, but how on earth I'd find enough agreement over what counts as, for instance, a firmer chisel and what doesn't, goodness only knows. The argument would probably be anything with straight sides, but what about straight-sided paring chisels? A mine field indeed. Then what about mortise chisels? What makes one registered and another not? Sockets v. tangs; is one "better" than the other? Then there's...

Um... Hello? Where'd he go...?

Cheers, Alf

Stop it she's off again everyone leg it :) blimey i recon they should bring back national service that would sort her out :lol: :lol: :lol:

Newbie_Neil":imitdab0 said:
Aragorn
I hold you totally responsible for this new turn of events. :roll: :roll:
Yep - that does seem reasonable! But someone had to steer Alf away from planes for a bit... :wink:

Who seems to be totally ignoring the fact that this thread is about Alf's MicroFence tail-related thingy

Back