Micro bevel on Tormek grind ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pswallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was recently given an older model tormek super grind 1200,I didn't rate it much until I bought the stone truing jig and the straight edge jig,now I'm very impressed with it. What I would like to know is should I still hone A micro bevel on chisel edges with my fine grit bench stone?....the tormek finished hollow grind cuts very well and as I have the angle setting device and stone grader I can get A perfect edge that cuts great.I also give it A quick polish on the leather wheel.Thanks Phil.

Most people grind a 25 degree bevel on the Tormek then a 30ish secondary bevel on finer abrasives (stone, SS etc).

Rod

Phil

If you only use the Tormek that means every time sharpening is a trip to the grinder to remove metal off the full face of the tool. When you hone a micro bevel that can be touched up many times before you need to regrind, your tool will last longer and that ignores the fact that you will get a far, far better edge off a fine stone.

Regards

Richard

fluffflinger":38c7r2ng said:
Phil

If you only use the Tormek that means every time sharpening is a trip to the grinder to remove metal off the full face of the tool. When you hone a micro bevel that can be touched up many times before you need to regrind, your tool will last longer and that ignores the fact that you will get a far, far better edge off a fine stone.

Regards

Richard
Thanks for your reply Richard. I had considered that and you have confirmed that for me,I'm not familiar with the Tormek and all the demo' videos didn't show A micro bevel being honed after grinding. Now I'm confident that I am doing things right.Thank you. Phil.

Latest posts

Back