MFT - wossit all about?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horses for courses. I get the strong impression that you're just arguing for the sake of it, which is fine I guess but gets pretty tedious after a while.
No not really - I asked a question and got the answer by about post #10 as I've said several times. Everybody has been chipping in about it since, including yourself!

and I have to observe the German mandatory quiet times for my area (1200 - 1400 during the day every day, after 2200 - 0700 Monday through Thursday, 0000 - 0700 Friday and Saturday, and all day Sunday).

So what are the Germans upto between 12 and 2, I can get the 10 at night to 7 in the morning and maybe Sunday? Is it a retirement village or ?

It is all really simple if you boil it down a bit, tracksaw is great with or without an MFT and a very portable solution to cutting sheet goods but once upon a time they would have been cut by a carpenter with big arm muscles just as easily but may never have heard of MDF! Then if you have large workshop the tracksaw is no match for the panel / table saw in any way, it is fast and repetative so the tracksaw is just one solution for those with smaller spaces and or need portability but not an absolute essential tool.

It is all really simple if you boil it down a bit, tracksaw is great with or without an MFT and a very portable solution to cutting sheet goods but once upon a time they would have been cut by a carpenter with big arm muscles just as easily but may never have heard of MDF! Then if you have large workshop the tracksaw is no match for the panel / table saw in any way, it is fast and repetative so the tracksaw is just one solution for those with smaller spaces and or need portability but not an absolute essential tool.
Yeah but an 8x4 laser CNC is a step up again for repeatability. It all depends on where your personal requirements and costs coincides.

So what are the Germans upto between 12 and 2, I can get the 10 at night to 7 in the morning and maybe Sunday? Is it a retirement village or ?

The exact time varies from state to state, but this is nap time for toddlers. The exception to the midday period appears to be any noise associated with education activities, such as band practice.

They are all having a nap. Having a nap and doing nothing at the weekend makes them much more productive than us Brits ;) .

From what I can understand, the church still has a strangle hold on Sunday activities and encourages families to spend quality time together by going to the park long family walks instead of shopping for that new Porsche. This doesn't work well if you work for public transportation or the food industry. Since all of the retail stores are closed on Sunday, Saturday becomes interesting since it is the only day of the week some people have to take care of the weekly shopping.

The exact time varies from state to state, but this is nap time for toddlers. The exception to the midday period appears to be any noise associated with education activities, such as band practice.

From what I can understand, the church still has a strangle hold on Sunday activities and encourages families to spend quality time together by going to the park long family walks instead of shopping for that new Porsche. This doesn't work well if you work for public transportation or the food industry. Since all of the retail stores are closed on Sunday, Saturday becomes interesting since it is the only day of the week some people have to take care of the weekly shopping.

It brings back memories of "Long Saturday" when, as a resident in Munich, the centre of the city was literally heaving with shoppers on a mission to buy everything before the shops closed because there was no retail opportunities available on Sunday.

It also brings to mind (and I was single and in my late twenties at that time) a trashy semi strip show on German TV called Tutti Fruity. (If I recall correctly, it was actually produced in Italy and shown on European TV). Anyway, there was a special screening where you could get a 3-D effect provided you had the special Tutti Fruity 3D glasses. So, several of us British ex-pats asked our German colleagues where we could buy these glasses. "At the opticians, where else would you buy glasses?" was the straight laced reply. ... I loved many of the aspects of my time living in Germany and have always been amused at how some cultures can be so prim. Contrast that with the 18 months I spent working in Hamburg where the people there loved the British humour and were always up for a Monty Python sketch or three.

I expect foreign nationals in Britain have similar thoughts about the various differences in cultures around the UK.

It brings back memories of "Long Saturday" when, as a resident in Munich, the centre of the city was literally heaving with shoppers on a mission to buy everything before the shops closed because there was no retail opportunities available on Sunday.

When I was stationed here in the mid-70's, I can remembers stores closing for the weekend around noon on Friday. In the past 20 years, store closing hours have changed to noon on Saturday to 2200 on Saturday. In rural areas, the small shops still close early on Saturday, but the large stores are expanding hours. I predict it will take less than another 50 years before the German government comprehends the lost revenue by Sunday restrictions.

It also brings to mind (and I was single and in my late twenties at that time) a trashy semi strip show on German TV called Tutti Fruity. (If I recall correctly, it was actually produced in Italy and shown on European TV). Anyway, there was a special screening where you could get a 3-D effect provided you had the special Tutti Fruity 3D glasses. So, several of us British ex-pats asked our German colleagues where we could buy these glasses. "At the opticians, where else would you buy glasses?" was the straight laced reply. ... I loved many of the aspects of my time living in Germany and have always been amused at how some cultures can be so prim. Contrast that with the 18 months I spent working in Hamburg where the people there loved the British humour and were always up for a Monty Python sketch or three.

I expect foreign nationals in Britain have similar thoughts about the various differences in cultures around the UK.

I never watched Tutti Frutti, but my wife used to watch and enjoy it. She doesn't appreciate "Morty Python" or the Goodies, but she tolerates me watching them. However, she does like Fawlty Towers and Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Having Sundays as a break from retail sounds like a good idea, and I can remember the days when in the UK most shops closed on Wednesday afternoons and Sunday was very quiet.

Yeah but an 8x4 laser CNC is a step up again for repeatability.
Never got involved with CNC and wood but they were fantastic in metal work fabrication and a much cleaner process than the gas cutters of old. Would never have thought of cutting wood with a laser though althoughagain ion metal you can both cut and weld with laser.

Bit like using Technic Lego for making yourself toys instead of just some strips of ABS and hot glue and a drill or two and a ruler and a protractor and a lathe and mill to make whatever connectors and brackets and stuff you need.
Luxury! You kids! In my day it were lump o' coal and dollops of dripping! None o' this fancy Lego stuff

Since all of the retail stores are closed on Sunday, Saturday becomes interesting since it is the only day of the week some people have to take care of the weekly shopping.
I thought there was one evening a week (often Thursdays in next door Netherlands) when the shops are open late. Or am I getting the two countries confused?

When I was working in Germany (late 1970s) I recall "shopping Saturdays" (first Saturday in the month) when the town used to go mad busy

I thought there was one evening a week (often Thursdays in next door Netherlands) when the shops are open late. Or am I getting the two countries confused?

When I was working in Germany (late 1970s) I recall "shopping Saturdays" (first Saturday in the month) when the town used to go mad busy

The German Ladenschlussgesetz (store closing law) was mostly unchanged here since it was created in the 50's. Sometime in 2006, the federal government allowed each of the 16 states to regulate their own store opening hours, which included 24 hours a day, six days a week, and four Sundays a year for six hours a day. A couple of the states, including Bavaria, did not make any changes to the hours, so the towns still close early during the week and roll up their sidewalks early Saturday afternoon. Exceptions to the law are stores in airports, train stations, and petrol stations.

Luxury! You kids! In my day it were lump o' coal and dollops of dripping! None o' this fancy Lego stuff
Coal? Luxury! In our house it were slack all week wi coke on Sunday (if you were lucky).
Lego hadn't been invented but we did have Meccano and Bayko.

Coal? Luxury! In our house it were slack all week wi coke on Sunday (if you were lucky).
Lego hadn't been invented but we did have Meccano and Bayko.

Cripes, didn't think you were that old Jacob. I think you will find Lego first came out in 1932.

Having Sundays as a break from retail sounds like a good idea, and I can remember the days when in the UK most shops closed on Wednesday afternoons and Sunday was very quiet.
Every town around here had a different half day. Sunday was closed and shops had different lunchtime closing - we had to plan the itinerary if we went out to pick goods up otherwise we would get to them all as they closed. The three we used most shut 12pm - 12.30pm, 12.30pm - 1.00pm, and 1.00pm - 1.30pm.

Cripes, didn't think you were that old Jacob. I think you will find Lego first came out in 1932.
it sez ere: A patent application for the modern Lego brick design was filed in Denmark on 28 January 1958
We never saw them, they came along when we were into fags, booze, rock n roll and birds
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego

Last edited:
Me and two of my mates were sitting in the Amphitheatre in Pompeii about 15 years ago......It was a scorching hot day and as interesting as it was, we couldn't help partially enacting the Judean Peoples Front..(or it may have been the Popular Front of Judea..) scene...When my mate shouted across the Amphitheatre....."Splitters" at the top of his voice..We got told off and asked to be quiet..! 😁😁

Just like the Labour Party Annual Conference but held in the Sun. 😀

Back