MFT - wossit all about?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Still trying to find a demo of somebody doing something useful on one of these very expensive tables with holes in things.
Total failure so far.
Is it just about buying attractive gadgets?
What can they do which can't be done on a normal bench, or even a B&D workmate (£44 B&Q) and a lot easier too?
Mystified.
This seems typical, he doesn't rate it much himself even though he's some sort of enthusiast:

Last edited:
I also fail to understand what all the fuss is about.
I do have the Festool tracks, but never have any problem
clamping them how I want, either on my bench or using
my pair of traditional trestles.
Just something to spend loads of time and money on, IMO.

Grumpy of Tunbridge Wells.

Still trying to find a demo of somebody doing something useful on one of these very expensive tables with holes in things.
Total failure so far.
Is it just about buying attractive gadgets?
What can they do which can't be done on a normal bench, or even a B&D workmate (£44 B&Q) and a lot easier too?
Mystified.
This seems typical, he doesn't rate it much himself even though he's some sort of enthusiast:

I asked this a while back and got no answer.

I guess it's something for those who like to have a system to buy into. I'm not going to venture an opinion as to whether it's good or bad, but if it flicks your switch that's fine by me.

Have you tried watching a video from someone who actually knows what they are doing with one? Mr Millard perhaps?

I mean it's clear you don't like them and I'm not sure that you want to like them and that's fine. I just tend to focus my efforts on things I actually am interested in rather than cotinuing to expose myself to things that I don't like 🤷‍♂️

There are plenty here who have one, use it, and are happy using it in different ways for different things. As for very expensive, which bit are we talking about here? an MDF sheet with holes in is about £40. The horror.

Mine is mostly used with a fence and 2 dogs to get fast repeatable square cuts, but its also been used to use a few holes to clamp something down when routing, or using a domino.

As always there are many ways of skinning a dog. Just do what works for you and if you see something that you think might be better for you, do it that way instead.

Jacob, its about using a festool track saw -if you dont have one or have not used one, you probably wont see the benefit

the MFT system enables quick and simple parallel cuts

It's a great way to get fast, accurate, and repeatable cuts in a small space. There are more ways to get the same results, but it's a very convenient way to get started. If you purchase a pre-drilled MDF sheet as @DBT85 suggests, and a few benchdogs and a decent track saw, you can make very accurate and repeatable cuts that would be hard to make on any other equipment for the same price.

Of course there's many accessories and you can make it as expensive as you want, and at that higher price point there may be better options out there. But that doesn't mean it's not useful.

I think it all comes down to what types of materials you are regularly cutting/clamping and working with .....If those materials are sheet material, then the MFT is, in my opinion, the best option ( If you haven't got a Panel saw with a scribing blade that is..!..)

Man made boards, especially the pre finished type ( such as MFC or MFMDF) can be a b u g g e r to cut and machine cleanly and repetitively square.....The MFT, a track saw with the correct good quality blade in it and a few dogs, allows you to do this.

Clamping small sections of material by means of the dog holes is also so useful.....

Yes, you could measure every panel and cut / rout each one individually, but it would be far slower and far less accurate.

I wouldn't want to be without my two....

Edit. Coincidentally, I've just used my 2440 x1220 MFT this morning in the process of making and edging 4 cabinet doors ......They were all the same size, so once everything was set up, it was straightforward. If I'd had to make them all by means of manual measurements, I'd still be out there now....

Last edited:
Have you tried watching a video from someone who actually knows what they are doing with one? Mr Millard perhaps?
No but I've been looking for one! They seem a bit thin on the ground, which is my point. They seem to be all about the gadgets and the expensive £100 squares which you also have to have.
I'll have a look at Mr Millard's.
..... As for very expensive, which bit are we talking about here? an MDF sheet with holes in is about £40. The horror......
Er - well that is rather expensive yes, especially as they seem to be sacrificial - or is the chap in the vid doing it wrong somehow?

I think it all comes down to what types of materials you are regularly cutting/clamping and working with .....If those materials are sheet material, then the MFT is, in my opinion, the best option.

Man made boards, especially the pre finished type ( such as MFC or MFMDF) can be a b u g g e r to cut and machine cleanly and repetitively square.....The MFT, a track saw with the correct good blade in it and a few dogs, allows you to do this.

Clamping small sections of material by means of the dog holes is also so useful.....

Yes, you could measure every panel and cut / rout each one individually, but it would be far slower and far less accurate.

I wouldn't want to be without my two....

Edit. Coincidentally, I've just used my 2440 x1220 MFT this morning in the process of making and edging 4 cabinet doors ......They were all the same size, so once everything was set up, it was straightforward. If I'd had to make them all by means of manual measurements, I'd still be out there now....
OK so it's for fast repeat cuts in MDF MFC etc. Thanks for that, now I know!
I'd do them on my TS, or if on the bench by extemporising with a straight edge and clamps. Lengths of MFC shelving make good straight edges - and excellent saw boards if you wanted to get technical.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Sawboard
It looks like all the other stuff is about dubious add-ons in an attempt to make it more useful.

Last edited:
We don't have the festool one but we do have the Axminster 1700 benches in our workshop and they incredibly handy. They have dog holes as well as 2 x nice big timber vices - Being able to clamp from any point on the bench makes things much easier. The vices combined with the dog holes are very handy for sanding as well as clamping. They have, without doubt sped up our process of finishing windows and now we wouldn't be without them. Obviously with festool you get the mobility and reputation which in turn comes with a bigger price tag.

....I'd do them on my TS,....

Sorry Jacob,....But that's just not good enough!! The finish achieved by a normal table saw when cutting this type of material is nowhere near the quality that can be achieved by a tracksaw or router.
A panel saw with a scribing blade, Yes.....But not a standard table saw!

Sorry Jacob,....But that's just not good enough!! The finish achieved by a normal table saw when cutting this type of material is nowhere near the quality that can be achieved by a tracksaw or router.
A panel saw with a scribing blade, Yes.....But not a standard table saw!
I have cut MFC and MDF on my TS with a finer blade. No problem. It's a good quality machine with a sliding table, which makes a big difference.

....well that is rather expensive yes, especially as they seem to be sacrificial....

My Festool MFT is 8 years old....

20211201_112408.jpg

My 2440 x 1220 top is about 3 years old

20211201_112558.jpg

Both are used extensively......How many more years use out of them do you think I will get before they need to be replaced...?
Bear in mind, once the top side is "worn out", you just flip it over and you use the other side...

I have cut MFC and MDF on my TS with a finer blade. No problem. It's a good quality machine with a sliding table, which makes a big difference.

You will not get as good a cut on a table saw as you would with a tracksaw on this type of material, as pictured below....front & back.!!!

16383591051876819628836201268808.jpg

16383594229445786875050746731137.jpg

My Festool MFT is 8 years old....

View attachment 123042

My 2440 x 1220 top is about 3 years old

View attachment 123043

Both are used extensively......How many more years use out of them do you think I will get before they need to be replaced...?
Bear in mind, once the top side is "worn out", you just flip it over and you use the other side...
OK I've got the picture!
I thought there might be more to it than that - If I get around to regularly doing a lot of repeat cuts in MDF I might consider it, though more likely I'd bodge something up equivalent, without buying expensive extra gadgets.

Last edited:
.....I thought there might be more to it than that....

Cutting and machining this type of material is far more of a challenge than cutting bare MDF or plywood......

If I was cutting real timber, more often than not, I would use my table saw or bandsaw but manmade pre finished materials require better quality cuts.

The clamping & dog options are only limited by lack of imagination ......the possibilities are almost endless.

I'm guessing it depends on your style of woodworking.

If you a big sheet material user then great....

If your a real wood worker then no so much.

I tend to use ply for backs of cabinets / drawer bases.

Cheers James

Cutting and machining this type of material is far more of a challenge than cutting bare MDF or plywood......

If I was cutting real timber, more often than not, I would use my table saw or bandsaw but manmade pre finished materials require better quality cuts.

The clamping & dog options are only limited by lack of imagination ......the possibilities are almost endless.
Does the track saw stop chipping splintering the board / wood. Never used one so don't know??

Cheers James

I'm guessing it depends on your style of woodworking.

If you a big sheet material user then great....

If your a real wood worker then no so much.

I tend to use ply for backs of cabinets / drawer bases.

Cheers James
Some of the vids I looked at show people trying to do things to bits of real wood but very unconvincingly.

Back