MFT worktops, uses etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...thinking from another angle, the vertical MFT front has so many possibilities and is one area that has caused me issues especially when needing to hold work upright for doweling.
The old Walko workbench concept was a good expansion on the MFT idea - the MFT was always intended as a portable bench, btw - but sadly didn’t gain much traction, possibly because it made the MFT seem cheap in comparison. 🤷‍♂️

Don't know what others use theirs for but I made up a 3ft x 6ft Paulk type bench (2 x 18" widths which bolt together) and used the Parf guide system for holes. It's not only a cutting station for sheet material with track saw, it's an assembly table and general light duty bench as well. No good for heavy planing as the trestles allow some movement if too boisterous. The Paulk top is great for temporary tool storage instead of cluttering the top when working.

Are there any sensibly priced after market hinged mounts for tracks? I like the way Peter can just drop his down square without lining up on dogs.

Are there any sensibly priced after market hinged mounts for tracks? I like the way Peter can just drop his down square without lining up on dogs.

Only one I know of is the dashboard system From the US; is $200 sensible??🤷‍♂️ Only seems to be compatible with the Festool MFT/3 profile though, which is proprietary. Must admit until I saw this I always assumed that the rail hinge was still under a Festool patent, as no other manufacturer has made anything similar.

Thanks Peter, nice product but, sadly not $199. When carriage, VAT/Duty and the rails are added, quite a hefty price for occasional hobby use. Will just have to keep using dogs:)

There's a bloke on youtube who's made up his own using a couple of butt hinges. It looks pretty good - I’ve been meaning to try it out but haven't had time.
The channel is Conkcat and the first clip is at:

MikeK
So what is the cost of your Item24 table?
@Jester129, my cost for just the item24 components is €1,258. This includes all machining of the extrusion, casters, assembly hardware, and shipping. My additional costs will be the MDF top, plywood for dividers and drawers, drawer slides, paint, and any additional hardware.

Only one I know of is the dashboard system From the US; is $200 sensible??🤷‍♂️ Only seems to be compatible with the Festool MFT/3 profile though, which is proprietary. Must admit until I saw this I always assumed that the rail hinge was still under a Festool patent, as no other manufacturer has made anything similar.

Rob, at Dash-Board, makes the rail system for the Festool rail as well as T-Track. I already have a set for my table.

Dashboard-1-L.jpg

Do you know what material he is using, that dark almost composite looking stuff?

Dennis, who is Dutch, used black MDF for his workbench. This is available in Germany as well at about €35 per square meter. I haven't found a local stocking distributor yet, but the large hardware stores can provide it in 19mm thickness with a four-week delivery time. The thickest normal MDF available at the hardware stores is 18mm at about €18 per square meter.

There's a bloke on youtube who's made up his own using a couple of butt hinges. It looks pretty good - I’ve been meaning to try it out but haven't had time.

Thanks Ged, interesting and far cheaper solution, would just have to make the rear hinged mount easily detachable for stow-away table. G.

Hi

that black MDF looks so different to what normal mdf does, I wonder if the fact it has been coloured effects its machineability or ability to resist moisture.

This topic may not have directly solved my thoughts on MFT tops but it has opened up the thought process and introduced items I had not heard of or thought about, one being the Microjig clamp with a dovetail profile, they seem extremely usefull and versatile in many applications and along with maybe a few 20mm holes for dogs would make some ideal jigs. Who else is using these and your thoughts.

Have a look for Valchromat if you want a coloured board (MDF, but not MDF, according to their blurb!)

Thanks! I couldn't remember the name. After a quick Internet search, I discovered the vendor where I buy my lumber also sells the Valchromat and has the 19mm black sheets in stock. :)

Valchromat is much harder than any standard or moisture resistant MDF I've had my hands on. It's good stuff. I would be reluctant to "waste" it on a sacrificial top, but if you regularly cut in the same place and routed in a thin replaceable strip, it could be neat. I have a simple top made from it sitting on some 80:20 framing. It cuts cleanly with a router.

Take a look at the RUWI rail system if you want something different to an MFT top.
Reviewed here.

I think Ruwi buy in key components and pair them with fixtures made by themselves.

Take a look at the RUWI rail system if you want something different to an MFT top.

I think Ruwi buy in key components and pair them with fixtures made by themselves.

Quite a setup... No UK distributor? I wonder how the costs compare for a full table, right angle cut (those track clamps) etc.?
All based on US|EU 2020 extrusion though.
I do like the 'keep the surface good' though, even if it is a bit of a nuisance?

Hi all

This topic has certainly got me thinking in too many directions what with Mikes router table setup and the hooked on wood guys workbench but have some interesting ideas now. I like the Incra positioner used in both these projects and I think it is a better option than the Seneca parallel guides for locating a fence with precision. Senaca guides are £238 whilst the Incra positioner is either £250, £263 or £283 depending on what length. Using Denis's mounting method for the Incra you would only need the shorter 430mm version and then a fence. I would then have a very accurate fence for routing or sawing. I will also be making a new mortice rail for my Woodrat using dovetail grooves and micro jig clamps with 20mm dogs for horizontal / vertical location which will make it much more usable.

What are you building next with all that extrusion?

Latest posts

Back