MFT worktop finishing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanf

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought an MFT style worktop a while ago that was CNC made from standard MDF. Previously this lived in our spare room, but since moving (temporarily at first) is now in our garage to be used with a couple of trestles to make a quick workbench. I am thinking I should probably apply some finish to the MDF as it will face a tougher life in the garage with moisture, etc. Any tips on what to use for this please? I would like a clear finish. Also, should I apply the finish to the MFT holes and then sand back or just wipe over or am I risking the tolerances for my dogs if I do so?

Thank you

Sean

I have an MDF CNC MFT top built up with a timber frame to form a bench - I gave it coat of acrylic varnish just to seal it - including the holes but did wipe them while the varnish was still wet. No significant issues with dogs (I have a mix of UJK, BenchDogs and some unbranded ones that came "free" wih the MFT top.) fitting snugly.

No significant issues with dogs
That's good to know thank you. Like you, I also built a timber frame for mine but it is the MDF I am more worried about protecting so hearing from your experience is great. I will look at acrylic varnish, as I don’t have anything like that at the moment. Do you have any recommendations of brands and/or finishes please?

Sean

That's good to know thank you. Like you, I also built a timber frame for mine but it is the MDF I am more worried about protecting so hearing from your experience is great. I will look at acrylic varnish, as I don’t have anything like that at the moment. Do you have any recommendations of brands and/or finishes please?

Sean

Screwfix - cheapest - I happened to have satin from another project. It's water-based and pretty much dries straight off the brush - and no odour to speak of.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonse...ml/30824#product_additional_details_container

I varnished mine and messed up the tolerances on the holes. So defo do what Robgul said and wipe the dog holes while the varnish is wet!

So defo do what Robgul said and wipe the dog holes while the varnish is wet!
Thank you. The last thing I want to do is make a mess of it whilst trying to protect it, so definitely appreciate hearing this!

Sean

Back