MFT - Why?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 138855

Many companies do hold downs that run in T track, so I wonder what level of force would be needed to pull the track out its slot, overcoming the fasteners 🤔 Certainly not enough from a simple hold down. You would need considerably more than that, and then given its rigidity and its multiple fixing points i wonder what would give first, given the pull force you must be be talking about, what would give first, the track itself or whether the T slot bolt would rip through the thin edges of the alloy..

I wonder is in this seemingly hypothetical reasoning, if posters are taking into account the use for T track in an MFT type bench. where the use of the track is to accommodate workstops, to hold the guide rail or component at different angles, and not as some sort of clamping area to put hundreds of kg of downward force as in a glue up type scenario as was the type of thing myself and Deema were referring to it for.

Maybe UJK and others should do some pull out tests with different materials and fixings.

It would be interesting to know what the track could take, obviously a lot less than the clamp you show could give.

This seems to have gone from a "Why use an MFT" to simply bashing T-Track, as if it's all the same.
Here in the states, T-track is commonly found in sizes that accept 1/4", 5/16" and 3//8" bolts. There are a myriad of accessories, such as intersections, clamps, stops and so on.
There is also no end to the T-track inspired extrusions available. From combinations to double sided and L shaped fences, it's not a one size fits all.
For a bench, the larger 3/8" size is big enough that the head of most # 8 or #10 wood screws will fit easily for attaching. Some can be bolted from the underside, eliminating the pullout issue

I have skimmed through this thread and I would suggest the answer to the original question is that they were devised by the type of (normally) American hobbyist with a vast barn of a workshop-always spotless incidentally.He needed to produce something to justify all the outlay and the time he spent out there and devised this particular piece of workshop furniture.It then spread like wildfire.My own observation has been that many professionals have a bench on which they work and an assembly bench nearby,on which sheet materials are cut and the items are assembled.It tends to have a flat top.

Back