MFT Tops

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought an MDF MFT top from Ebay a year or so ago. It has been used a fair bit, but for some reason is now not flat by some margin. The reasons are likely a combination of being stored stood up (leant against something at an angle), possibly moisture from being in an unheated garage over time and possibly because there are a number of cuts into it, predominantly into one side. It owes me nothing so it isn't a moan.

I am going to buy a replacement, but I want to buy the right thing and try to extend its life as much as possible.

I currently use it across 2 pieces of CLS timber which slot into 2 saw horses. The restrictions are that I need something that I can use in the workshop or outside (moveable), and can be stored.

Would ply be more stable than MDF?
Would screwing it to a frame help? (either CLS or 4020 profile)
Any other suggestions?

If you are short on space you could build this mft cart which is what I did in the end. Although not completed I still use it all the time. It also has additional wings you can add to increase the surface size.

CNC Design do a router template for making tour own mft tops too.

That combo should keep you going and it doesn't take up a lot of space either.

*edit CNC DEsign not benchdogs :roll:

MDF is terrible for sagging, have heard people with the proper Festool MFT moan they have to keep flipping the top to keep it flat.

I have a birch ply table from CNC Design which is excellent, stores flat, only takes a minute to assemble and you can always just use the top on a couple of 4x2s as you do now if you don't want to assemble table.

https://www.cncdesign.co.uk/portable-wo ... ywood.html

Moisture resistant MDF may well help. Medite is better than a cheap generic version.
I have an outfeed table made from a 1200 x 900 ish slab of generic MRMDF stiffened by two lengths of 8040 underneath.
So far so good with that but I'm not sure that 4020 profile would be up to the job.

I've gone through a few MDF tops now (some bought and some home made) and they all invariably sag over time. These are left in their respective benches i.e. horizontal. I added supports under my main bench and it's remained flat unlike the MFT. I'd say nay to building a frame round it unless there's also provision for support underneath the top.

An alternative to supports underneath could be to clamp a couple of straight lengths to the top when not in use. Dedicating actual clamps to this task is maybe a waste but you could go all fancy and use threaded inserts and nobs to do the holding.

I have a top made with a CNC template. I built a Ron Paulk type box from plywood that sits on two tressles. The top drops in the top supported at the corners with a central stretcher. Seems to work OK , hasn't sagged and is easy to store on edge when not in use. I use MRMDF by medite and it is very stable and I've had no problems with it absorbing moisture.

Attachments

• festoolTopS.jpg
    festoolTopS.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 108

Latest posts

Back