MFT 'rails' /track - what size T track please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave, I don't know if this will help, but here are images of different tracks in my shop that work the Festool clamps.

This is the extrusion around my MFT-style workbench. The channel will accommodate the Festool clamp and the M8 carriage bolt. This is the only version in my shop that works with the M8 bolt.

This is an image of the Woodpeckers Dual Purpose Track that is used on their drill press tables.

View attachment 121020

@Mike K This does seem (luxury end?) ideal. Shallow enough to fit in the space I have available (sacrificial 'apron' on the front of the bench.
At £44 Woodpeckers Dual Purpose Track 24" for a full length piece it is pricey, but ... v.tempting.
Usual woodpecker kit? Expensive but does the job nicely! Thanks for the heads up.
I want to try some t-track for my drill press 'hold down' now!

@Droogs re 'small' t-track.
Banggood Miter Track Stop T-track Sliding Brackets For T-Slot T-Track
url Miter Track Stop T-track Sliding Brackets For T-Slot T-Track Woodworking DIY Tool

To run in "30mm" track, support a 'backboard' for a drill press.
small.png

Reckon this is the size? has that 'boat shape' I was talking about?

yes to all outer edge to outer edge. The track stop etc use the small ones if they are being used on extrusion such as their 20 x20 or 20 x 80 etc but if being used for the T-tracks with rulers and such then they use the big T-nuts to ride in the track. The various stop blocks etc come with a big T-nut on them

I didn't realize that they used two different sized nuts on the various stops and guides depending on the type of extrusion you bought. I had to wait 12 weeks in total to get the various different bits I needed as I had to do a second order for the size I was missing, which was the small ones. Still I have lots of kit to make some nice new jigs etc and may make a slightly more refined router table for the big TRA

Last edited:
This thread reminded me that I was looking for the same.
I saw this today - as you can see, it can be used with a Juuma rail clamp.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20358250...rentrq:eb5db6d617c0a9f0b82ac1b2fffd2512|iid:1
The seller advised me that internal dimensions are:- Internal width = 12.25mm, opening at the top = 8.3mm.
Elsewhwere, dimensions of 19mm wide and 9.5mm high are given (actually said to be centimeters).

Thanks @galleywood - I'm tending to call that 'mid' sized t-track? There is a tiny (but not much found).
Most (IMHO) tend to be 23mm internal (30mm wide, often called 30 type).

I'd not heard of Juuma clamps.

@pe2dave, have you seen the workbench built by @ian33a in the thread below? It is Post #37 and he appears to be using the Incra T-track on the side as you described.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/thread...h-entirely-by-hand.133774/page-2#post-1522093
By the way, very nice bench Ian!
Yes. That seems to be the 'double' track - with tape space? I think that's the 23mm 'bottom' size, "30 type" as it's called?

@ian33a Do you use .. 23mm 'base' of track items to hold wood in place please? Any concerns about pulling the screws out (from base of track)?
I'd thought of a 'tight' fit, then araldite in place?

Yes. That seems to be the 'double' track - with tape space? I think that's the 23mm 'bottom' size, "30 type" as it's called?

@ian33a Do you use .. 23mm 'base' of track items to hold wood in place please? Any concerns about pulling the screws out (from base of track)?
I'd thought of a 'tight' fit, then araldite in place?

The top track is INCRA - Track - T-Track Plus - Metric | Wood Workers Workshop

The bottom track is INCRA - Track - T-Track Regular | Wood Workers Workshop

So far, so good, with screws not pulling out. I'm not a heavy user of the bench and see the track mainly as a hold for material so that it sits at the right angle for major work that would be done on the top surface of the bench. I think that having double track does a lot to distribute the tendency for the wood to whip under load and this helps to keep the screws in place. I also routed the wood with a decent interference fit so I'm hoping that friction from the sides of the tracking should keep the track in place too. The track isn't glued in place. If I were to consider gluing it, I think I would go for a 1 mm glazing tape rather than using an actual glue.

FYI
I am told that internal height of the track I posted about, is 7mm.

Juuma clamps.
https://www.fine-tools.com/t-track-clamp.htmlI must say that are more expensive than I was previously led to believe.

Mmm. Lots of cheaper clamps around, especially the simple screw types,
though I'm sold on the 'quick' clamps by Festool (copied on Banggood btw).
Agree, the prices are more than a bit daft.

Back