MFT 'rails' /track - what size T track please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pe2dave

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to sink some T track into 18mm ply, to make a workbench apron, as a 'vertical' clamp?
Anyone done this sized for the Festool clamps, and know what size t-track to buy please?

TiA Dave

Changing tack (and track?).
An hour on the Banggood site, I've concluded that their tracks come in two main sizes.
19x9.5 and 30x12.8

Looking at hold down clamps (forgetting Festool type clamps) Im tending towards the larger track being
more appropriate, with 8mm (as apposed to 6mm) 'track nuts' sliding in the track.

Is this what others have selected please? The larger track and M8 bolts to hold material down?

Dave look at both past post and take a look at Dennis, this guy has made me re-think workbenches and router tables and got me into the Microjig clamping system which I find so useful. He also has the idea of the apron on the bench which opens up more possibilities. and specifically

Dave, I don't know if this will help, but here are images of different tracks in my shop that work the Festool clamps.

This is the extrusion around my MFT-style workbench. The channel will accommodate the Festool clamp and the M8 carriage bolt. This is the only version in my shop that works with the M8 bolt.

T-Track-1.jpg

This is an image of the Woodpeckers Dual Purpose Track that is used on their drill press tables.

T-Track-2b.jpg

This is an image of the Incra T-Track. I bought several sections of this, but haven't had time to add them.

T-Track-3b.jpg

These are images of the Incra track that are part of the router table. I didn't take measurements of them yet, but the Festool clamp fits as shown.

T-Track-4.jpg

T-Track-5.jpg

I'll check mine tomorrow when in the wksp, just had some delivered along with different sizes of Tnuts etc and post sizes

Thanks gents, lots of info there.
Axi "Universal" (herrumph) track, from Peters measurements, 19x12.5, the slot is 14.5mm wide x 7.5mm deep and the T-section is 8mm wide.
But seems right for clamps (Axi, assume? same as Festool). I've 'scrap' at the front of my bench, but nowhere near 19mm thick!
A problem to sort. Sods law? Couldn't use 18mm ply and a backer! Needs to be below the surface (ideally) A fair solution though.

@MikeK - that looks just like the Festool MFT 3 'side' rails? Is that what it is please?

@MikeK - that looks just like the Festool MFT 3 'side' rails? Is that what it is please?

@pe2dave, the rail on the workbench is the European equivalent of the 8020 aluminum extrusion used in the States, but in my case it is 8040. I bought this from a German company called "item industrietechnik GmbH", and they have a UK distributor in Derbyshire. I used Series 8 profile in the 40x40 and 80x40 sizes.

https://uk-product.item24.com/en/catalogue/products/line-8-construction-profiles-1001042794/

Thanks Mike - I've come across that before - though I didn't know it 'matched' the Festool clamps!
Guessing the simpler choice would be 40x40 - though what does the "8 profile" mean (other than the vague shape of the extrusion?)

Thanks Mike - I've come across that before - though I didn't know it 'matched' the Festool clamps!
Guessing the simpler choice would be 40x40 - though what does the "8 profile" mean (other than the vague shape of the extrusion?)

The "Profile 8" refers to the family of extrusion products where the slot width on the extrusion faces is 8mm, as shown by dimension "a" in the image below. The manufacturer offers Profiles 5, 6, 8, 10, and 12, and the Profile 8 is perfect for the Festool clamp and M8 carriage bolts. The square shank on the carriage bolt fits nicely in the 8mm slot.

This is a screen shot from the catalog showing the groove dimensions of a typical square profile in each of the Profiles. I highlighted the Profile 8 in the red box.

item24-profile-8.png

If you are looking for aluminium extrusion in this sort of profile there are a few companies in the UK that sell it, it is used in a lot of different industries.
Can't speak for any of them but RS Components, KJN & Valueframe are 3 that I know of. Just be aware that it comes in different wall thicknesses as well as different profile shapes so check that out & don't just buy the cheapest you can find as the aluminium wall thickness will probably be to thin for your needs.

If you are looking for aluminium extrusion in this sort of profile there are a few companies in the UK that sell it, it is used in a lot of different industries.
Can't speak for any of them but RS Components, KJN & Valueframe are 3 that I know of. Just be aware that it comes in different wall thicknesses as well as different profile shapes so check that out & don't just buy the cheapest you can find as the aluminium wall thickness will probably be to thin for your needs.

I discovered many sources for the extrusion in Germany after I bought from item GmbH. Some of the sources offered to cut smaller pieces, but most sell only three meter lengths. Those who did cut to order did not break the edges or offer any other options like drilling and tapping holes.

I have no problem cutting, drilling, tapping, and cleaning, but I can't compete with the speed and accuracy of a CNC machine and process developed for finishing extrusion. I would, and have, done my own machining for small projects, but would not consider it for a large project. I could have ordered the standard three meter sections, but I might still be building my worktable and cleaning up the mess. Time is the one resource available to me that I don't have much control over. The additional cost from the same vendor, about €250, to deliver ready-to-assemble components rather than bulk extrusion was not worth worrying about.

You make a great point about the extrusion wall thickness. Each vendor offers different versions of extrusion, including hollow extrusion. I had considered using the hollow version for the vertical sections, but since they are load bearing, I stayed with the "light" version shown below.

The 40x40 extrusion was used for the all pieces except the top band.

40x40.png

The 80x40 extrusion is used for the top band for tool attachment.

80x40.png

I can't speak for what services the UK Companies offer Mike, I only know of them because a lot of people use this type of extrusion to build CNC machines & I was looking to build one along the same lines a few years ago. I know KJN offered machining as that was who a lot of people on one build forum used but don't know if they still do. I was lucky enough to find a spares or repair machine so ended up going that way instead.
RS Components are just a big stockist so will probably only sell full lengths, Valueframe are probably the same.
I agree 100% with what you are saying about the extra cost of having the job done rather than doing it yourself, I am at an age now that I would rather spend my time making the things that I want to rather than spend my time making the things I need to make to make the things I want to make lol
A lot of my equipment was purchased second hand, spares or repair & at the time it seemed like the best way to do things but now days I would rather just buy something I can use straight away.

Banggood T nuts sizes
Large T
L = 30 Widest Part (x of the T)= 23mm Narrow width (stem) = 19 H = 7.8mm
Rebate W = 2.35 D = 4.96 Tread = M6

Small T nut
L = 10.1mm Widest Part = 9.29 Narrow W = 6.29 H = 4.55
Rebate W = 1.56 D = 1.30 Thread = M6
It also has a 45deg chamfer along the length

T racks internal sizes nominally match T nut dimmensions
Outer dimensions
Large W = 28.5mm H = 12.8mm

sma\ll TBC as not yet arrived

also
T Track with ruler
W = 45mm H = 12.5

HTH

Thanks @Droogs Very useful.
I spent an hour yesterday on their site - hard to go back to a product. They have ID 123456 - but can't search on it (as per ASIN for Amazon).
Crude grouping - overall dimension, 30 or 19.5 wide.
Sadly they don't associate such as slide nuts with the track!
I'm guessing your 'small' uses those boat shaped 'slide' nuts?

Your T track sizes, are they external please? (not the easiest things to describe in text!).

I'm concluding that the 'smaller' one (19.5 oa) is a bit on the fragile side for clamping? Would you agree?

Back