MFT Length stop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
There are occasions when I want to cut of multiple lengths of board on my MFT. I have a couple of ways of making this easy and accurate, and this is my latest.

It is an adjustable length stop which fits into two holes of my MFT, and consists of a pegged base over which slides an adjustable foot.

22 stop closeup.JPG

The holes of an MFT are on 96mm centres. If it seems like a strange distance, it is because it is compatible with the 32mm system. So the two peg holes have to be drilled exactly 96mm apart. To do this I cut a spacer exactly 96mm long, put the workpiece up against a stop to drill the first hole, then inserted the spacer to drill the second hole, ensuring that they are exactly the correct distance apart.

01 first hole.JPG

02 second hole.JPG

Then, over on the Router table, I routed a v-groove across the top of the base and along the centre of the top.

03 rout v-groove base.JPG

04 routed v-groove.JPG

05 rout v-groove top.JPG

Still on the router table, I used the Dropping On method to rout a pair of 1/4” grooves along the sliding top, taking just a few mm at a time, each cut being braced against the RH stop before being lowered onto the the cutter and pushed forward up to the end stop.

06 drop on setup.JPG

08 drop on start.JPG

10 drop on end.JPG

11 finished slots.JPG

Attachments

• 22 stop closeup.JPG
    22 stop closeup.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 1,055
  • 01 first hole.JPG
    01 first hole.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 1,035
  • 02 second hole.JPG
    02 second hole.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 1,036
  • 03 rout v-groove base.JPG
    03 rout v-groove base.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 1,055
  • 04 routed v-groove.JPG
    04 routed v-groove.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 1,036
  • 05 rout v-groove top.JPG
    05 rout v-groove top.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 1,035
  • 06 drop on setup.JPG
    06 drop on setup.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 1,037
  • 08 drop on start.JPG
    08 drop on start.JPG
    250.2 KB · Views: 1,036
  • 10 drop on end.JPG
    10 drop on end.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 1,036
  • 11 finished slots.JPG
    11 finished slots.JPG
    212.5 KB · Views: 1,037
A square key set diamond-wise aligns the two parts, and this is probably the hardest part to do. If it is too fat the two halves will wobble, and if it is too loose the two parts will wrack. It needs to be a Goldilocks fit, not too small, not too big, just right, and then the two parts will slide sweetly. I remove the arris of the key so that the two parts ride on the face of the key, not the corners.

13 key too big.JPG

With the two parts aligned I marked through the slots onto the base, to show me where the Bristol levers need to go. I have a special pencil to do this, it is thinned down so that it just fits in a 1/4” groove.

14 thin pencil.JPG

However, the holes for the Bristol levers have to be drilled from the underside, so the easiest way to transfer the positions is to drill a tiny hole, just 1.5mm, through from the top. This shows exactly where to drill.

15 location hole.JPG

With the base turned over, I drill a 10mm cavity for the nut (because an M6 nut requires a 10mm spanner), then drill right through at 6.5mm. I staggered the holes so that the two Bristol levers do not foul each other.

16 cavity hole.JPG

An M6 nut is then pulled into each cavity.

17 pulling nut.JPG

A foot is glued onto the business end of the top.

18 gluing foot.JPG

A shallow groove is routed on the underside of the base, in line with the peg holes, and a couple of pegs turned to fit. They are a snug fit in the base, but the part that fits into the MFT is only snug for the top 6mm or so, then it tapers to make insertion easy. But that last 6mm is snug, so the groove enables me to get a screwdriver in there to prise it all out if it gets a bit too tight.

19 finished.JPG

20 finished.JPG

In use, the workpiece and track are set up against their respective dogs, the workpiece aligned with the track and the stop moved up to the end of the workpiece. Now I can cut off as many pieces as I like and they will all be exactly the same length.

21 MFT setup.JPG

23 removal.JPG

Attachments

• 13 key too big.JPG
    13 key too big.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 1,022
  • 14 thin pencil.JPG
    14 thin pencil.JPG
    242.8 KB · Views: 1,022
  • 15 location hole.JPG
    15 location hole.JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 1,042
  • 16 cavity hole.JPG
    16 cavity hole.JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 1,044
  • 17 pulling nut.JPG
    17 pulling nut.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 1,042
  • 18 gluing foot.JPG
    18 gluing foot.JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 1,020
  • 19 finished.JPG
    19 finished.JPG
    232.4 KB · Views: 1,036
  • 20 finished.JPG
    20 finished.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 1,037
  • 21 MFT setup.JPG
    21 MFT setup.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 1,021
  • 23 removal.JPG
    23 removal.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 1,021
Nice jig and really useful.

Upon reflection it's so useful that it's surprising someone like UJK haven't marketed something similar.

Without doubt that is a well made jig but how is it worth the effort of making it when an offcut clamped to the table would do the same job?
I expect that it is only a matter of time before UKJ will produce one.

Just to add to my previous comment I was really impressed with your 3 pointed square that I can't remember what you called it but I have spent a lot of time trying to improve the pivot point and will post the results when finished but without your input I would not have known about it.

custard":1rv3rewx said:
Nice jig and really useful.

Upon reflection it's so useful that it's surprising someone like UJK haven't marketed something similar.

Having seen this, they will do soon :lol: :lol: - Rob

Actually Rob it looks like someone's already manufacturing something. Looking through my bag of MFT bits I found this.

MFT-Bronze-Stop-01.jpg

MFT-Bronze-Stop-02.jpg

I can't remember where I bought it, but I think it's a US supplier. But I do know why I think Steve's is the better product, I don't trust any length stop that's secured with a single fastening, and with this one not only can it be bumped backwards it can also swivel out of alignment and throw the measurement out. Looks pretty, but its not inspired me with enough confidence to ever use it.

Attachments

• MFT-Bronze-Stop-01.jpg
    MFT-Bronze-Stop-01.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 822
  • MFT-Bronze-Stop-02.jpg
    MFT-Bronze-Stop-02.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 841
custard":2jsyctxq said:
Actually Rob it looks like someone's already manufacturing something. Looking through my bag of MFT bits I found this.

I can't remember where I bought it, but I think it's a US supplier. But I do know why I think Steve's is the better product, I don't trust any length stop that's secured with a single fastening, and with this one not only can it be bumped backwards it can also swivel out of alignment and throw the measurement out. Looks pretty, but its not inspired me with enough confidence to ever use it.

You can get these a few places

https://benchdogs.co.uk/products/slide-stop-clamp

I have looked at them a few times as a length stop but for the reasons Custard said I have never got round to buying one. They are actually sold as a clamp but never really worked out if it is to clamp down on to something or push against something.

^I was just looking at mine that's sat on a shelf just the other day. My last words to it were, "why did I buy this; you belong in the bin" for the exact same reasons as the above. The rounded end you'd butt stock up to makes it incredibly easy to knock out of place given the rounded dog going into the table at the other end. You can lock it down with a knob from underneath (steady!) but I never did trust it even with that in place.

The TSO ones just released sure do look purdy... but not £/$50 purdy.

That's nice Steve.
I'm curious as to why you went with a 'diamond' shaped track, rather than a straightforward square/rectangle?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

It's actually easier to fit, Sammy. I use it on just about every sliding part I ever make and it just works. I think it's actually an engineering technique, I'm sure an engineer will be along any moment now... :)
S

MVIMG_20190508_152603-1008x756.jpg

Steve there is no way that I would suggest that I have improved on your idea, there is no way of knowing because you have not gone into details of how you made it.
I was intreaged with the consept and decided to give it ago but struggled to make the pivot point accurate enough to make it worthwhile.
My solution after several attempts was to use furniture fixings from Screwfix and that has proved to be a good result.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190508_152603-1008x756.jpg
    MVIMG_20190508_152603-1008x756.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 397
Just to add, the nut in the photo is a nice snug fit in a 9mm hole drilled through both arms and with smooth sides that almost go through both arms it makes for a very smooth pivot that will cause minimal wear after a lot of use and of cause the bolt was cut to length to hold the arms tight and bottom out on the nut so it does not come loose.

That is excellent, PT, thanks for posting. Mine is a brass nut and bolt. I've had no problems with wear, but, as you say, a sleeved pivot like that should outlast the wood that surrounds it!
Excellent.
S

Back