MFT legs blocking dog holes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumcloth

Reaction score
First post here ...
I'm planning to build an MFT-style table - bigger than the Festool (7 x 11) but smaller than some of the "full-sheet" tables I've seen.
My plan is to buy the UJK Park Guide (II) to build a basic grid of holes, plus some offset holes for rail dogs.
I intend to build the structure in 4x2s, and I'm pretty sure I can "hide" most of them between the rows of holes.
However, the leg structures in the corners are going to cover the bottoms of some of the holes.
The BenchDogs Quad Dogs look like they only need to go in to the depth of the hole before twisting to tighten, so they would be fine, but are there other types of dogs that need to protrude below the bottom of the MFT top ?
Does anybody else have "blocked" holes, and are they much of a problem ?
Thanks,
Pete.

I have a large MFT style table with some blocked holes, they don't cause much of a problem, sometimes they get filled with sawdust so you can't get a dog in unless you clean them out.

The bigger problem I find are the bearers underneath get in the way of the ratchet clamps I use, you drop the clamp in, spin it around and it hits a bearer before it's in the position you want, really annoying :(

I built a large MFT-style workbench as well, but used 40x40mm and 80x40mm aluminum extrusion for the frame. My workbench top is 1x2 meters, with a hole pattern of 10x20. The center line of the holes on the ends is about 85mm from the edge and the center line of the holes on the sides is about 65mm from the edge.

None of the holes are blocked by the support structure, and so far I haven't experienced Doug's problem with the clamps. The extruded cross supports in my workbench are 40x40mm and are nearly exactly between the rows of adjacent holes. As Doug and Jerome wrote, I don't think you will notice a few blocked holes on a large table.

Thanks for the replies - looks like the potential sticking point is the clamps rather than the dogs.
I'm going to review the structure I'm using - reduce where I can etc.
Cheers, Pete.

Back