MFT insert / blanks to fill holes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just put a piece of hardboard on top when I need either protection for the mft from paint/glue, or I use a different, cleaner piece of ply when I’m assembling things with small components.

If you must plug the holes, then B&Q sell 2.4m of 20 mm dowel for £6, just cut some (many) lengths of that and I bet that the natural imperfections will cause it to wedge in the mft holes. If not, then a smear of hot glue (allow to cool before inserting in the mft) would be enough to give a little friction.

I don’t have an MFT (yet?) but do use a magnetic dish to stop screws, drill bits, etc from disappearing. Could one of these stop things wandering off and falling through the holes your MFT?

I’m looking to build an 8x4 MFT bench but unsure if having it peppered with holes will be a bit of a pain when using the bench for work with screws. It will be one of two main work benches.

I had a quick google for infill plugs to stop screws falling through the holes but couldn’t find anything.

do any of you out there have any neat solutions? I’m sure there must be loads of options and I’ve just not found the right search terms! My initial thought was 3D printed short dogs that sit just below surface level.
Hi also try kjssigns.bigcartel.com/product/mft-work-surface-protectors-x10-bench-dogs

Question if you need to cover all 8x4 when screwing (no pun intended)?
How about an appropriately sized sheet of 6mm something, and if you want to be posh, sink 3 or 4 20mm 'plugs' (broom handles?) so it is secure on the bench?

Question if you need to cover all 8x4 when screwing (no pun intended)?
How about an appropriately sized sheet of 6mm something, and if you want to be posh, sink 3 or 4 20mm 'plugs' (broom handles?) so it is secure on the bench?
this makes sense to me, especially the idea of plugs that lock the board in place, although I would use it a bit and see how nessacery the plugs are.

The only downside I can see in simply covering the benchtop with a board is storing the board when not in use, if this is an issue then there is the option of using some t and g laminate flooring, it would take up less space in storage, and has a good surface for wiping up squeeze out etc

Back