MFT clamps.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cautious question: Are the Makita slots (under the track) the same size as the Festool ones? I know the top runners are the same.
@petermillard perhaps?
If I remember one of Mr. Millard's videos when he compared Makita and festool track saws, he said only the slot on the top side of the rail on the Makita was different, it had an extra lip (which mine does).

Can't confirm if the bottom aren't different.

That was my experience too, hence why I still have the Besseys and not the Festool pair.

The screw clamps were bundled with the track saw; otherwise, I wouldn't have them. I haven't tried the Bessey clamps, but will pick up a pair the next time I'm at the hardware store. I've never had a Bessey clamp loosen during use.

Cautious question: Are the Makita slots (under the track) the same size as the Festool ones? I know the top runners are the same.
@petermillard perhaps?

I've got these clamps too (although I've only used them briefly once as I've tended to find the rubbery stuff on the bottom of the track holds it in place perfectly well so haven't felt the need for clamps). As I understand it, the Makita and Festool tracks are compatible with one another so these clamps should work fine.

The Axminster ones claim to work on both Festool and Makita tracks, so that supports the idea that the slots are the same.

I have a pair of Festool and a pair of Axminster threaded rail clamps. Both are excellent quality, and I couldn't choose between them, apart from the price (Axminster ones are slightly cheaper).

The Festool ones live with the track saw, so get more use. I have had them loosen up, but it's unusual. I suspect that's because I try not to overtighten them (and thus don't do them up enough sometimes). There are two issues with overtightening: Firstly you bow the track, so the cut can be off-square (near the clamp), and if you clamp hard enough you risk dishing the track permanently.

To be fair I'm using Makita rails - the Festool ones might be thicker or better supported. But I have permanently damaged one piece of track (somehow - can't remember doing it), which is quite annoying.

That said, in an MFT environment as hold-downs for the work, either would be excellent (that's what I bought the Axminster ones for). And yes, both Festool and Axminster do fit Makita rails.

IMHO, the screw versions are a waste of money as they loosen themselves when you're not watching (due to vibration mostly).
very true, I have the festool screw down version and they are rubbish, I have Axminster clicky ones and they are great but the bessy rail clamps i linked above i find best for rail use (no good for dog holes)

A couple of photos

Attachments

• IMG_20201027_124327.jpg
    IMG_20201027_124327.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20201027_124144.jpg
    IMG_20201027_124144.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 82
I think it depends on what you're doing with them (oi, watch it at the back) and how you're doing it (I warned you Smiggens!). Sanding springs to mind... and routing for an even more you-dont-want-a-clamp-working-loose task. For basic clamping a track for a single cut they work well enough.

I have both the original Festool lever camps, and the original (blue) Axminster ones. At the time the Axi ones were significantly cheaper, but had a few rough edges (bare metal on the clamp head face, coarser ratcheting, generally a bit less polished) but were worth it for the saving. Then Axi polished off the rough edges but hiked the price. Still cheaper than the Festool, though I always reach for the Festool first...🤷‍♂️

I’ve never noticed any difference between the Makita t-slot beneath the rail rib and the Festool. Then again, I’ve never had my screw clamps come undone, either. 🤔

HTH P

I have the standard screw versions that came with my TS55 and they don`t loosen on me, however I wonder if using a router not a track saw maybe that extra vibration may cause loosening.

I have some Bessey clamps with a similar head to the quick ones but without the t track end, just a normal pad they are called Kliklamp.
They are quite good on totally square things but can be quite awkward to use on anything offset at all or angled a bit. As they tighten they impart a slight sideways pressure, enough to pull a joint off.
Probably not an issue for rail use but worth noting.

Ollie

I used the Festool screw clamps with my track saw. Without exception, they loosen up. The ratchet clamps never loosen.
I have 5 different kinds of clamps that I use with the Festool rail and MFT pattern work surfaces 23EAB464-C66A-407D-8907-C003C7C1A02F.jpeg
None of them loosen up in use definitely not the screw clamps. If screw clamps loosen in usage either the fault is in the clamp or user, if the Festool ones are loosening its most likely to be user error.

The best ones for rail use are the DeWalt the worst are the Festool and Axminster ratchet clamps due to the long throw of the levers and small clamping distance.

The disadvantage of the DeWalt ones are that they are no use in a work surface, as the don’t fit through the holes.

I sometimes find that the small clamping range of the Axminster and Festool ratchet clamps is too short for a strong clamping effect and have to switch to a screw one.

Last edited:
I have the same experience with the Festool screw clamps that came with my tracksaw, in that they vibrate loose every time. I now use Axi click clamps & have relegated the Festool clamps to general duties.

I have both Festool types. I initially preferred the ratchet type because the screw ones need a ‘knack’ when tightening to ensure they engage properly when upside down. Gravity goes against the engagement mechanism and you need to be sure they are engaged properly by pushing the arm up at the upright (stem?) end before pressing on the surface.

The ratchet ones have the same issue, but pulling the handle forces the correct engagement, but potentially can run out of depth if not engaged correctly.

Once I figured that out, I now use the screw one over the ratchet ones with the rails as they are quicker for me.

In a work surface I use either but have a small preference for the ratchets.

Back