MFT clamping options

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an MFT type workbench (MFT replacement top on home made frame), and was wondering how people go about clamping things like the image below, but with the board vertical (so the edge is touching the table, not the face)?

I've tried cam clamps, and also the Veritas Wonder Dog, but they don't work well when the board is up vertical as they only clamp the first 20mm or so, which is fair enough as they are not designed for that.

I know that on the real MFT you clamp using the extrusions on the front, but my bench doesn't have those.

maxresdefault.jpg

I fitted some t-track to the side of mine and use the f-style clamps to secure upright pieces, albeit to the side face not the table top.

Secure to the edge of the table or use these Festool extending cramps,

MFT-Workholding-Edge-01.jpg

MFT-Workholding-Edge-02.jpg

Or if you're trying to plane the edge of the workpiece just butt it up against a secured block

Attachments

• MFT-Workholding-Edge-01.jpg
    MFT-Workholding-Edge-01.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 331
  • MFT-Workholding-Edge-02.jpg
    MFT-Workholding-Edge-02.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 351
Here's another option that doesn't need any additional kit. Cramp a block to the surface of your MFT from underneath. Then cramp the workpiece to that block.

MFT-Workholding-Edge-03.jpg

Attachments

• MFT-Workholding-Edge-03.jpg
    MFT-Workholding-Edge-03.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 322
Peter Parfitt uses some blocks with a hole drilled through that slip over normal dogs. They'd be simple to knock up if you have a 20mm bit and you'd be able to clamp a piece to two of those easy enough.

Here's another one.

All you need with your set-up is a suitably sized spacer block that will allow you to put the workpiece on edge and still use the cam cramp.

custard":9jrm8ohv said:
Here's another one.

All you need with your set-up is a suitably sized spacer block that will allow you to put the workpiece on edge and still use the cam cramp.

As mentioned, I already tried the cam clamps (in conjunction with wedges and spacers).

However ....

When I initially tried them with my home made wedges, I found things kept slipping.

I tried them again last night, but this time, copying the wedge shape from the UJK Axminster ones which was much less inclined than the ones I made. And works a whole lot better! ... so yeah ... my wedges were too steep it seems.

I still like the idea of the parf hats though, and also your idea with the f clamp. So will still add those to the "toolbox"

Also - I think I confused this thread by not mentioning that the photo in the initial post is not mine! (one from google).

transatlantic":1wjb61ai said:
shed9":1wjb61ai said:
What extrusion profile are you using?

I don't have any extrusion. It's literally a replacement MFT top on some legs
Apologies transatlantic I thought those were extrusions in the pic but then that was assuming it was a pic of yours as well.

You could mill a length of wood to size (2x2" ish), mount it under the front of the MFT top and route a keyhole along the length to use standard festool/similar clamps along the edge. If any of that makes sense?

shed9":1uzx3x1f said:
transatlantic":1uzx3x1f said:
shed9":1uzx3x1f said:
What extrusion profile are you using?

I don't have any extrusion. It's literally a replacement MFT top on some legs
Apologies transatlantic I thought those were extrusions in the pic but then that was assuming it was a pic of yours as well.

You could mill a length of wood to size (2x2" ish), mount it under the front of the MFT top and route a keyhole along the length to use standard festool/similar clamps along the edge. If any of that makes sense?

Another good idea. I think I might price up some extrusion at some point.

transatlantic":1jtod7w4 said:
Another good idea. I think I might price up some extrusion at some point.
For info, I get mine from KJN;

http://www.aluminium-profile.co.uk/

Postage is a kicker but if you order a few lengths it often pans out. They will cut to exact length and are superb as a supplier. I made my own main bench out of Bosch Rexroth 90x90 (10mm slot) extrusion with a DIY MFT top. I use clamps on the side to hold tall lengths but I machined adapters for Festool type clamps to use the 10mm slot. Festool clamps will work but they are not as good a fit as they could be.
I have some 8mm slot as well, I'll check the fit for clamps and report back.

The only niggle with adding the extrusion, is that you then can't clamp things to the edge of the top.

Back