MFT and Shaper Origin

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That said there's stuff you can do with the Shaper that you can't with a normal CNC machine - inlays into existing big things (like floors) fer instance.
Yes everyday sort of stuff! I must remember to inlay my floors people are starting to comment. :unsure:

So would you say that a decent CNC in a similar price range of the shaper is the better solution in terms of programing and usability. To me the shaper is a router with CNC guidance / correction wheras an actual CNC is more like what we used in metalwork, load it and off it goes and I dare say a lot more support. I suppose it's biggest asset is portability, a mobile site CNC but anything it can do can be done in other ways if you have the skills.

What sort of CNC do you get for £2500 not inc VAT or shipping cost.

I agree with your views that the Shaper is more of a guided router.
I think its in between a cnc and a router, you can pre program very complex and detailed work just like a regular cnc machine but you can't just hit the go button and go and do something else like normal cnc machine.
I can envisage setting up a library of commonly used macros to do repetitive jobs quickly.

It's the sort of thing that becomes more useful as you have it longer, my cnc machine is great for all sorts of quick accurate jobs.
Need a specific radius or shape template, 5 minutes. Need a jig or soft jaws to hold something 10 minutes work.

You won't get a decent cnc machine for £2500 unless you build it yourself or get lucky second hand.

Ollie

So really it is an expensive direction to take your woodworking but if I was going in this direction I think I would put the investment into a true CNC machine, not having to hold and guide the machine is a bonus especially as you get older!

So really it is an expensive direction to take your woodworking but if I was going in this direction I think I would put the investment into a true CNC machine, not having to hold and guide the machine is a bonus especially as you get older!
Another consideration for many is space. A dedicated CNC takes up a lot of space even vertically mounted ones. I very much like the concept of the shaper as it stores in a sustainer when not in use. I would be highly likely to get one based on my space situation. The only thing stopping me is the price. I certainly can’t justify it as a hobbyist.

Latest posts

Back