MFT and Shaper Origin

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulrbarnard

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
There have been a number of interesting debates on the value of MFT and others on the Shaper Origin. This YouTube video just popped up on my recommendations and it shows someone making an MFT using a Shaper Origin. Now is this a double negative or does one cancel out the other.

For me this is way cool.

I haven't read the arguments about the MFT, but I can imagine the content ;-).

I think it really depends on where you are in your woodworking journey for both these items.

I have an MDF MFT top (purchased from a third party supplier at a very modest cost) and I find it invaluable in my tiny workshop and would replace it immediately if it reached the end of its life.

I'm also awaiting delivery next week of a Shaper Origin. Having researched this (and other options) for over a year now, I decided to make the purchase.

In terms of the video, I've seen this done by others and it (apparently) works very well.

Im about to start my journey with MFT and have been interested in Shaper for a while, thanks for the heads up on the vid!

OK, just what is the preferred method for sharpening a Domino, then? I just can't wait to see Jacob's hand hewn or basket-weave Dominos (y)

I think it really depends on where you are in your woodworking journey for both these items.

I have an MDF MFT top (purchased from a third party supplier at a very modest cost) and I find it invaluable in my tiny workshop and would replace it immediately if it reached the end of its life.

I'm also awaiting delivery next week of a Shaper Origin. Having researched this (and other options) for over a year now, I decided to make the purchase.

In terms of the video, I've seen this done by others and it (apparently) works very well.
Me likewise, MFT top + set of dogs half the cost of the DIY kit from Axi.

Need to somehow weave dominoes into this if we want to achieve peak.
Let me oblige, well the Domino at least the 500 was aimed at the MDF and sheet goods brigade and using sloppy holes it has by all accounts delivered, but move away from sheet goods into real wood and that is another story. The 700 in my opinion was aimed at the lesser skilled like myself to achieve results comparable to a skilled woodworker doing M&T joints but using loose tenons in the form of domino's and you cannot question the concept because yes it delivers good holes at the set depth everytime. But don't be fooled into thinking this is just a glorified biscuit jointer because it has a much steeper learning curve and is not as forgiving as biscuits. It makes great holes but getting them into the right place is where your problems start, I have had an absolute nightmare getting the accuracy from my 700 when compared to a dowelmax, BUT after a lot of practice and experimentation I have recently had SUCCESS, I got four dominos into two pieces of wood and the joints closed up without too much effort and in alignment so at least I know it can be done and all I need to do now is to repeat this success and understand what it is I have done differently. This was done on a partial MFT top using a Benchdogs fence.

Currently acquainting myself with the Shaper Origin. Bit of a learning curve but so far pleased. Prepare yourself for the £600 or so import duties which will come seperately from the shippers.

Shaper Origin - £3k ish?
Isn't technology marvellous? Thanks to space/arms race etc so many amazing inventions!
Like the non stick frying pan. Not sure about a fry-up in a space capsule, well not kippers at any rate.
Just did a fry-up in my very old non stick frying pan which is made of cast iron only. Nothing has ever stuck to it? :unsure: How can this be?

Last edited:
Currently acquainting myself with the Shaper Origin. Bit of a learning curve but so far pleased. Prepare yourself for the £600 or so import duties which will come seperately from the shippers.
Holy rubbish. You guys get robbed with those import duties, that’s a deal breaker. Lucky for us in Canada we don’t get those that much.

Thats crazy extra duty to pay. Is there no official UK distribution ? If not what about future support?
I had a job the other day where I could have certainly used the shaper.

Ollie

There have been a number of interesting debates on the value of MFT and others on the Shaper Origin. This YouTube video just popped up on my recommendations and it shows someone making an MFT using a Shaper Origin. Now is this a double negative or does one cancel out the other.

For me this is way cool.

Noticed he left the "I" out of studio in the first one, read WOOD STUD O, oops

Rather than the shaper why not look at a CNC machine, ok it is not a portable solution but maybe cheaper and if you want a shaper then buy before they get any little green bits and the price rockets.

I liked the vid but think the guy has to much easy money.....
mind, tools and equipment in the US is easy to get and cheap by comp to Europe....

I only have one Festool tool.....the industrial jig saw....only because u can plunge cut with it.....
but have to say it's just as good as my old Makita industrial....which after over 20 years of heavy use just died....

Rather than the shaper why not look at a CNC machine, ok it is not a portable solution

I think that's why. I have a CNC machine so the Shaper is interesting but not of interest, if you see what I mean.

That said there's stuff you can do with the Shaper that you can't with a normal CNC machine - inlays into existing big things (like floors) fer instance.

So would you say that a decent CNC in a similar price range of the shaper is the better solution in terms of programing and usability. To me the shaper is a router with CNC guidance / correction wheras an actual CNC is more like what we used in metalwork, load it and off it goes and I dare say a lot more support. I suppose it's biggest asset is portability, a mobile site CNC but anything it can do can be done in other ways if you have the skills.

What sort of CNC do you get for £2500 not inc VAT or shipping cost.

Back