MFT accurate cuts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it was fine cutting the length of the board but not the width. Thank you all for your advice- tomorrow I’ll follow your points and make another vid, see if we can get to the bottom of this together.

I’m loving this - perhaps I should turn this into a channel? Haha

Any other suggestions/advice would be appreciated

But he said "Inconsistent between boards."

It's not really clear what NewbieRaf means by inconsistency? Are boards not coming out the expected length or are repeat cuts not coming out the same length?

If you set the flag stop then cut 4 boards at that setting are they all the same length?

If they are the same length the problem is in the measuring.

If they aren't the same length the problem is that there is movement somewhere in the MFT/Flag stop/rail/saw set up.

Very good point/question Doug. Boards are not coming out the expected length per the measurement from the flag stop to the splinter guard.

I hope to make things clearer tomorrow with another vid plus trying out the advise from others

Can I have a go at the answer please...
Firstly, you will not get an accurate measure using the tape that way - you are clearly deflecting it over the top of the rail - if you go parallel to the worktop, you will reduce that inaccuracy. You will also reduce parallax on trying to read the tape. (If the track is 18mm up from the worktop, measure on top of an 18mm board)
Are you certain the track is square to the rail? If it's out by a small amount, you will get an inaccurate cut, with one end being longer than the other - less evident on smaller cuts of course..

What's the dimension between the flip stop and inside of the cut in the sacrificial top?

Not sure I've ever got too worried about 1mm discrepancies TBH.

Very good point/question Doug. Boards are not coming out the expected length per the measurement from the flag stop to the splinter guard...
Hang on, that’s the opposite of what you said when I asked that question further up the thread! 🤷‍♂️
Re. your video, as others have said you can’t rely on a measurement using the tape like that, you’d be better using a steel rule, and run it under the rail against the flagstop.
As for starting a channel, go for it! MFT videos are very popular - but unless you want to post exclusive
y to Instagram, shoot landscape video, not portrait. 👍👍

Last edited:
You are certainly introducing errors into your cuts by your method of measuring, as has been said.

I have a simple method for setting up for repeat cuts on my MFT, relative to the flag stop, more so if I have to return later to cut more of the same.

I cut a strip, usually a piece of 18mm ply about 25mm wide (not essential) which I measure, mark & then cut on the MFT, with the flag stop set,
to get to the required length, may take a couple of cuts and marginal movement of the stop to sneak up on it, this then doesn't rely on the splinter guard position, once I have my precise length I fix with a couple of screws a short back stop (off cut from the 18mm ply strip) on top of the cut ply strip, set tight up against the back edge of the guide rail, with the cut strip still referencing to the flag stop, I can then put it aside for
reuse later, with no need to measure again, I keep all them until the project is finished.

Hey All

Alrighty, I've done a video, its 10 mins long which is a lot longer than I normally do but I wanted to show you the steps that I took, please bear with me. Here is the link:

The good news is, and as you will see, I think it was the rail adjustment on the TS55, let me know your thoughts. I also apologise for the sound quality in places, so if you're playing this on your phones, please turn the volume up. If you make it until the end of the video, I called you all out as a thank you :), sorry if I missed anyone.

Back