Metro engine misfire

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
My rover metro has taken to playing me up some days with an engine misfire. Other days it runs without any problem.
Misfires occur the first 5 miles at all speeds.

Advice appreciated.

.. (34000 miles on the clock and never needed a repair in 10 years)

try the electronic ignition amp, well known for playing up.

could be misbehaving until the engine (and amp-pack) heats up (dry joint?)

steve

I have been buying cars fro over 46 years and this is the only one that was any good. I just cant bring myself to send it to the knackers yard.
Jags, zodiacs, crestas, oxfords, maxis, Marinas, cortinas, triumps nissans. I could tell stories that would make us weep.

PS Riley Elf, that was the worst (1960's)

yup I think so, if i remember rightly this was the problem on a mates mini until we changed the electronic ignition amp.

or you could check the leads, again one could be dodgy until it gets warm.

steve

ike":1aaoa56f said:
34000 miles on the clock and never needed a repair in 10 years

That might be something to do with it!

I do hope he meant "other than a routine service". Although only driving 50 odd miles a week is probably not ideal either.

Andy

Try spraying the HT leads, ditributor and coil and all associated leads with WD40.

I used to have Fiesta that always strted playing up at this time of year due to the cold and damp getting into the 'lectricery - a quick squirt of WD40 put it right for another year.

woody 10 years and you never got a haynes manual for the poor little thing shame on you ,10 long years it was at your beck and call never did it complain,and now your thinking of sending the poor little thing to the knackers yard :cry:why because it coughed a few times , fellow woodworkers i ask you is this right . i think a few stern words from alf are called for :twisted: :twisted: .

hit it with a big stick. Works for me anything that plays up wack it first if that dont work get the manual out or ignore it :lol: my van engine has a realy bad rattle so i bought a louder radio hey presto it stopped rattling well i stopped hearing it :lol:

frank":299ih2en said:
i think a few stern words from alf are called for :twisted: :twisted: .
Not likely - I've suffered plenty from various Austin/Rover/Leyland etc etc monstrosities over the years. There was the Marina I spent my formative summers sticking to the plastic back seats of, squashed between my two much older, and larger, brothers. The Mini I used to have that I found 6" deep in water in the foot well one morning. I could go on, but I won't. Put the thing out of your misery... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

The Mini I used to have that I found 6" deep in water in the foot well one morning.
I cured my Mini water cooled feet problem by drilling holes in the floor pan.
Always thought mini`s where build upside down.

Damm turkish designer/engineers

Shall I use wd40 first.
New leads 2nd
New cap third
I've just thought I haven't looked at the plugs for 4 years.
Such a faithful old friend deserves some TLC.

so alf you had the old mini the newer ones where fitted with a bath plug to let the water out 8) . devon woody if a bit of tlc works on the wife just think what wonders it will do to your car , by the way do you know where to look for the spark plug thingys :D

cant beleive my eyes such disrespect for the good old mini i've had 3, first one was a gem £275 no more than £20 for mot and work, did 120,000 miles never brokedown unless i ran out of fuel sold it for £200 with no tax or mot bloke that bought it said it sailed through after he fitted a couple o tyres and how many cars come with a foot spa some people just expect too much from a humble car :D

i resume it is an A series metro......

when they converted from points to electronic ignition, the ignition amplifier units are well known for packing up.

as stated, i could also be a dodgy lead.

steve

Steeve,
I think my metro is the later type engine (Honda) .
I was hoping to just replace that plastic cap, but you know what its like when you start on a car, you just keep replacing, replacing, replacing,replacing etc.

Frank
I don't know how you understand these things if you live in the Virgin Isles, you must have visited the IOM sometimes.

devonwoody":1stg2kfn said:
Shall I use wd40 first.
New leads 2nd
New cap third
I've just thought I haven't looked at the plugs for 4 years.
Such a faithful old friend deserves some TLC.

Sounds liek a good plan, although if the plugs are 4 years old, I would replace them first (hang the expense!!!).

If you try all of the above and still no joy, then it is most probably the amplifier as other have suggested.

Latest posts

Back