Metric blades for Record 043, and similar planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldpate

Established Member
Reaction score
Reading this recent thread on "favourite tools : planes"
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/forum-users-favourite-tools-planes-t55742-15.html
the postings about the 043 reminded me that I've been meaning to ask if anybody knows of a source of metric-width blades for this tool.

I've got the Rapier equivalent with the original set of imperial blades, and I know Ray Iles does a replacement set for these, but I haven't been able to locate any in metric sizes (particularly smaller sizes). Does anyone know of a source?

Alternatively, any suggestion for substitutes? My first thought was to cut the blades off metric-width flat chisels. Might work for 6mm and above, but I think most of the narrower widths are mortice chisels (thick narrow blades with back not parallel to face, so unsuitable).

Thanks for any suggestions/ideas.

Chris

The later Record plough planes (the ones with the Design centre plastic handles) and the ugly but useful Stanley Ploughs were all offered with metric blades. They come up fairly often on eBay and will fit your 043 though they may be a little bit longer than its originals were.

That said, plywood thicknesses vary widely, so getting the right size groove needs a wide selection of blades.

Stanley spares still sell metric sizes too: http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/ploughcutters.html

baldpate":27g6bm8k said:
Reading this recent thread on "favourite tools : planes"
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/forum-users-favourite-tools-planes-t55742-15.html
the postings about the 043 reminded me that I've been meaning to ask if anybody knows of a source of metric-width blades for this tool.

I've got the Rapier equivalent with the original set of imperial blades, and I know Ray Iles does a replacement set for these, but I haven't been able to locate any in metric sizes (particularly smaller sizes). Does anyone know of a source?

Alternatively, any suggestion for substitutes? My first thought was to cut the blades off metric-width flat chisels. Might work for 6mm and above, but I think most of the narrower widths are mortice chisels (thick narrow blades with back not parallel to face, so unsuitable).

Thanks for any suggestions/ideas.

Chris

Since the #043 has no adjuster, almost any blade, either homemade, or nabbed from some other combo plane will fit.

BugBear

If you've got a blow torch, a hacksaw and a file you should be able to make some from Gauge Plate Steel.
Cromwells sell a wide range of sizes.

Rod

Chris

For the sake of thoroughness, I tried your original idea of using chisels. Most of my narrow ones have deep blades or bevelled edges so would not fit but I did find a few small Stormont or Footprint firmer pattern chisels which were slim enough to fit and they gripped ok. The way that the separate clamp piece pivots means that it does not matter if the back is not parallel to the front.

Also, there is no need to remove the handle and destroy a good chisel! It looks a bit odd, but the handle was out of the way of my hands and did not upset the balance too much.

So a definite possibility for that one odd size where nothing else fits.

Thanks for the suggestions.

@Andy
I'd noticed that the blades from my Stanley plough would fit, but it's an older model so the sizes are imperial. It hadn't occurred to me that later models might come with metric blades - thanks for pointing that out - I'll keep an eye on eBay!
Yes, a firmer chisel fits in nicely - unfortunately, I don't have any narrow enough in metric. Still, if you have some at least that means they exist - worth keeping an eye on eBay.
As you say, the narrow ones usually have deep blades, like this one of mine:
DSCF0257_under256.jpg

which is what I meant by a 'mortice' chisel - too deep to fit under the wedge.

Attachments

• DSCF0257_under256.jpg
    DSCF0257_under256.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,882
baldpate":300a90h7 said:
Thanks for the suggestions.

@Andy
I'd noticed that the blades from my Stanley plough would fit, but it's an older model so the sizes are imperial. It hadn't occurred to me that later models might come with metric blades - thanks for pointing that out - I'll keep an eye on eBay!

Since the blades are so simple, another "source" is a too-wide imperial blade and a grinder.

BugBear

Back