Metalworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harlequin

Established Member
Reaction score
Was thinking - some knowledge and skills with a small metalworking lathe could be an useful asset to the craft.
So what I am asking is - are there any good courses that one could undertake that might provide an useful insight into the craft but also help decide on a good starter lathe and bits that I would need.

I think I would end up wanting to turn small parts but with precision - so a small lathe methinks
Whats the Axminster starter course like?
Any thoughts guys/gals

As the purely self-taught user of a Myford Super 7, I'm probably the wrong person to advise, but it might be worth your while seeing if there is a model engineering club anywhere near you. Some of its members may be prepared to give you 1 to 1 tuition, and you could also get opinions (but of course they will only be opinions) on different lathes.
If you do get to buying a metal lathe, and space isn't a problem, remember you can make high precision work on a large lathe, but it's very difficult turning big stuff on a small 'un! Though it's amazing the size of stuff some ME enthusiasts turn on 1.5" centre height Unimats.

Harlequin":ocgum4d9 said:
I think I would end up wanting to turn small parts but with precision - so a small lathe methinks

Almost any metal working lathe, big or small, is precise enough for any thing aimed at woodwork, unless it's old and worn out.

BugBear

Back