metalworking request/favour

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lons":w5hgs5b8 said:
I'd be interested to hear how the epoxy joint between the wooden handle and threaded rod holds up. I'd thought about something similar myself for a project, but wasn't confident that glue would be strong enough.Robin.
Just fix a reinforcing pin through.

what do you mean by reinforcing pin? sounds like a good idea though.

MikeJhn":12faekxz said:
As a further refinement, how about a cam and lever to de-tension the blade after use?

would love to do that but would need some kind of framework or plan, it might be something I do once this is fixed, I genuinely don't know how they work mechanically.

thetyreman":3rszns5i said:
Lons":3rszns5i said:
I'd be interested to hear how the epoxy joint between the wooden handle and threaded rod holds up. I'd thought about something similar myself for a project, but wasn't confident that glue would be strong enough.Robin.
Just fix a reinforcing pin through.

what do you mean by reinforcing pin? sounds like a good idea though.

Still epoxy the handle on then drill right through handle and rod with a small dia drill, insert a length of brass or steel rod / wire through ( a nail or panel pin can be used ), cut off just proud and hammer over the ends, finish off with a fine file and you'll hardly see it but it won't come off.

Or am I misunderstanding what you're trying to do? That happens quite often. :oops:

cool thanks for the tip, now it makes sense, that's an excellent idea, no misundertsanding at all, cheers.

I'll second Lon's idea. I did the same thing some years back when I mounted a keyless chuck onto a file handle to save holding drills with pliers.

Back