Members can turn off viewing Ads!

metalworking request/favour

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
Lons":w5hgs5b8 said:
I'd be interested to hear how the epoxy joint between the wooden handle and threaded rod holds up. I'd thought about something similar myself for a project, but wasn't confident that glue would be strong enough.Robin.
Just fix a reinforcing pin through.
what do you mean by reinforcing pin? sounds like a good idea though.

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
MikeJhn":12faekxz said:
As a further refinement, how about a cam and lever to de-tension the blade after use?
would love to do that but would need some kind of framework or plan, it might be something I do once this is fixed, I genuinely don't know how they work mechanically.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
thetyreman":3rszns5i said:
Lons":3rszns5i said:
I'd be interested to hear how the epoxy joint between the wooden handle and threaded rod holds up. I'd thought about something similar myself for a project, but wasn't confident that glue would be strong enough.Robin.
Just fix a reinforcing pin through.
what do you mean by reinforcing pin? sounds like a good idea though.
Still epoxy the handle on then drill right through handle and rod with a small dia drill, insert a length of brass or steel rod / wire through ( a nail or panel pin can be used ), cut off just proud and hammer over the ends, finish off with a fine file and you'll hardly see it but it won't come off.

Or am I misunderstanding what you're trying to do? That happens quite often. :oops:

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
cool thanks for the tip, now it makes sense, that's an excellent idea, no misundertsanding at all, cheers.

Robbo3

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll second Lon's idea. I did the same thing some years back when I mounted a keyless chuck onto a file handle to save holding drills with pliers.