Quantcast

Metalworking lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Johnboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking into buying a metalworking lathe mainly for turning small items for jigs etc. I don't have room to bench mount a Myford ML7 or similar so am looking for a small lathe that can be kept under a bench and lifted onto the bench when needed. A web search found this http://www.chesteruk.net/Conquest Lathe Specification.htm.

Anyone seen one of these or know anything about the quality etc.

TIA John

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
John,

I looked into this a while back (came to nothing :( ) and found the uk.rec.models.engineering archive very informative. I looked at the Chester stuff, but IIRC correctly was rather put off by reports about their customer service. Axminster don't tend to get much of a mention, but engineering stuff is really their passion, and they'd understand that you were coming from a woodworking perspective, so it might be worth talking to them too.

Cheers, Alf

woodshavings

Established Member
Reaction score
Chester do have a varied reputation for service but Warrens
http://www.warco-tools.com/
seem to be better.
I bought a lathe from them a couple of years ago for the same reason as you, jigs fittings etc, and found them very helpful.
I think they import the same lathes as Chester so should have the mini lathe you are after.

Johnboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Chris, thanks for the link. It seems that as you say the same lathe has been sold under a few different brand names. I read the review of the Homier 7x12 which seems to be identical and it was rated very highly for the price.

Alf, I thought of Axminster but they don't do (at least not in the old catalogue, haven't got the new one yet) a small lathe like the conquest. It only weighs 35kg or so so I would be able to lift on and off the bench OK.

I have looked at the Machine Mart (£422) and the Warco (£399) and they look identical. I think I will go with the Chester at £355 inc VAT and Del and take a chance on the customer service.

I will try and do a review after using it for a while.

Thanks John

Latest posts