Metal strip that will rust?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chems

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm after a few strips of metal that I can use to edge some 18mm oak. I want it to go rusty and it needs to be bendable. Does anyone have any creative ideas of something off the shelf that fits the bill?

Hi

B&Q sell mild steel strip at exorbitant prices - if you have a steel stockholder near by you can buy it for a few pounds for a six metre length.

Regards Mick

what about strapping from pallets or packs of brick. You may need to dip it in something to get rid of paint on it. A builders merchant probably has a banded and would give you a bit. are you going to have problems with staining where ferrous based metal is in contact wth the oak?

Thats not a bad idea either Marcros. I've found a local supplier on the back of Spindles recommendation. Less than £3 for a meter. I am hoping it will go all rusty and nasty. I was at this VW show at the weekend with my BIL who is really into his VW Campers. He has a vintage split and has his in the rusty look thats very popular. One of the parts of this look is to strap lots of vintage type things to the roof rack, like old cola cases, leather suitcases and oil drums. One of the popular things is little wooden sleds. But seems that the sellers at these shows know they are after them, an old sled was £125. So yesterday afternoon I made one from some oak I had lying about. I just think it would really finish it off if I put the steel on the runners. Then the whole thing should go silver and rusty over time to blend in. I could speed along the rusting with a salt water bath and the oak is untreated so should go silver within a few months if left outside.

If you want to fake it you can brush on glue and dust with iron filings.
I was wondering about doing this to my beautiful new (ish) titanium bike frame, to make it less attractive to thieves.

Chems":27cv468l said:
Thats not a bad idea either Marcros. I've found a local supplier on the back of Spindles recommendation. Less than £3 for a meter. I am hoping it will go all rusty and nasty. I was at this VW show at the weekend with my BIL who is really into his VW Campers. He has a vintage split and has his in the rusty look thats very popular. One of the parts of this look is to strap lots of vintage type things to the roof rack, like old cola cases, leather suitcases and oil drums. One of the popular things is little wooden sleds. But seems that the sellers at these shows know they are after them, an old sled was £125. So yesterday afternoon I made one from some oak I had lying about. I just think it would really finish it off if I put the steel on the runners. Then the whole thing should go silver and rusty over time to blend in. I could speed along the rusting with a salt water bath and the oak is untreated so should go silver within a few months if left outside.

Now all you need to do is make half a dozen and pop along to the next vdub show :roll:

I quite enjoyed making it. But don't fancy making a batch of them. The fault in the buisness model may be that you can probably pick up old ones at junk yards, antique shops, ebay and probably freecycle for next to nothing - and the ones I saw were all still on the stands, not purchased so everyone must be thinking the same.

@Jacob, probably not a bad idea - perhaps a serious coating of mud may have the same effect?

@Wildman - always read the full post before replying. Rust and tannin stains are fully welcome as stated further up.

Back