Metal rod for lever handle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an old lathe that is missing a couple of its original lever handles.
For ages I've used a long bolt. But they're quite bent and not very comfy so I'd like to get a length of rod, thread one end and put a stainless steel ball knob on it.

What's the right steel to use? Stainless? Ordinary bar? Something else? Or any is fine?
I suppose my concern is stiffness (I need to be able to pull it tight without bending it) and ease to put a thread on. The bars are 8mm and 10mm.

Advice gratefully received as always

Silver steel is very stiff even in it's annealed state (Snaps rather than bends without heating it), it isn't the easiest to thread but it can be done with good quality dies. What is it for? locking the toolpost and tailstock on a wood-lathe?

If you want a couple of pieces of silver steel with a thread on the end done for you just let me know. I've got all the gear and no idea! :lol:

Trevanion":u91kp9b6 said:
Silver steel is very stiff even in it's annealed state (Snaps rather than bends without heating it), it isn't the easiest to thread but it can be done with good quality dies. What is it for? locking the toolpost and tailstock on a wood-lathe?

If you want a couple of pieces of silver steel with a thread on the end done for you just let me know. I've got all the gear and no idea! :lol:

Hi Trevanion

That's an *extremely* kind offer - thank you. You're exactly right - it is the tail stock lever and a tool post locking lever. I'll measure the holes and drop you a PM. I would like to pay you for this, so please don't object (or, at the very least, pick something online that I can send you)!

Back