Metal pipe with very thick walls?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try www.pipedreamfittings.com They sell a 1 inch BSP pipe in various lengths. This will allow you to make ( or have made ) a 1 inch O/D, 19mm I/D length of bushing, that can be brazed into the end of the pipe. You should then be able to drill through and tap to allow for fixing screws.

Does it have to be steel? I have some stock of 25.5mm O/d x 18.5mm I/d Aluminium tube I could open it up to 19mm depending how deep the boring bar need to go in, and I could thicken the end up to take 6mm grub screws.

Something like this:
View attachment 132398

Edit: How long is the tube required?

I was thinking about 500mm long, and maybe the hole going to about half way? but I guess that would be very hard to do?

Try www.pipedreamfittings.com They sell a 1 inch BSP pipe in various lengths. This will allow you to make ( or have made ) a 1 inch O/D, 19mm I/D length of bushing, that can be brazed into the end of the pipe. You should then be able to drill through and tap to allow for fixing screws.

Ah, so they have some thick walled pipe (4mm) Heavy Wall Steel Pipe / Tube Lengths - Pipe Dream Fittings

But the trouble is then getting a bushing that fits and has a 19mm ID. :(

You can download their specs :
1648216197942.png

Maybe a 1" (25.4mm) -> 3/4" (19.05mm) bushing might fit it?

1648216282621.png

Attachments

• 1648216038009.png
    1648216038009.png
    126.8 KB · Views: 3
Hi Transatlantic,
It's quite a useful table that they have there .You can do what you are suggesting, but you have to be careful about sizes with BSP .I have done something similar to that when I made a drilling jig for some chair legs -photo attached, I was easily able to drill our the brass insert on my wood lathe You have to realise that you don't get much of a depth to the bushing Niall
Ah, so they have some thick walled pipe (4mm) Heavy Wall Steel Pipe / Tube Lengths - Pipe Dream Fittings

But the trouble is then getting a bushing that fits and has a 19mm ID. :(

You can download their specs :
View attachment 132410

Maybe a 1" (25.4mm) -> 3/4" (19.05mm) bushing might fit it?

View attachment 132411

Attachments

• IMG_3775.JPG
    IMG_3775.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 12
You can or get a hobby machinist or professional to make some similar to the Hosaluk Ferrules. Size them to match the stock hollow bar you can get and the tool you want to use. Epoxy or weld/silver braze them to the hollow bar and you're off to the races.

Pete

Note: LV doesn't sell them anymore but they are available from a number of US suppliers if you wanted some for a wood handled tool.

Last edited:
Back