Metal pipe with very thick walls?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying to find something quite specific!

In need ome metal tubing/piping that has an ID of 19mm (can be slightly bigger but no smaller) and then some very thick walls of at least 5mm so they can be threaded.

I've been to my local supplier and looked online, but can't find anything suitable :(

Basically, I want to make a boring bar holder like below. The hole needs to be 19mm to accept my range of 19mm tools. I've also thought about using a 19mm bushing inside some bigger pipe, but getting something to match is equally hard to find.

Any ideas?

1648052342453.png

steam barrel it was called in days of old......
Not sure if major plumbing supplies will still stock it.....
these def used to stock it, varying sizes...
http://www.booles.co.uk.......they are based in Stockport , Chesh....(nice to deal with, very knowledgeable people on the phone /counter))
If u dont want to much go to an Hydraulics firm...often the Hyd/cylinders use extra thick walls.....
If u lived here u can get it from normal stock......
good luck....

I'm trying to find something quite specific!

In need ome metal tubing/piping that has an ID of 19mm (can be slightly bigger but no smaller) and then some very thick walls of at least 5mm so they can be threaded.

I've been to my local supplier and looked online, but can't find anything suitable :(

Basically, I want to make a boring bar holder like below. The hole needs to be 19mm to accept my range of 19mm tools. I've also thought about using a 19mm bushing inside some bigger pipe, but getting something to match is equally hard to find.

Any ideas?

View attachment 132261
Hi there , I feel your pain as not many manufacturers give internal and external diameter as well as wall thickness. But try this company- it’s the closest to your dimensions but would need drilling out to 19 mm ..sorry not good with sending links ..

Attachments

• 1A22D101-38E3-4CE2-B6FB-7134DE58CE31.png
    1A22D101-38E3-4CE2-B6FB-7134DE58CE31.png
    319.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 166971F6-2195-411A-9ECF-1685679B504E.png
    166971F6-2195-411A-9ECF-1685679B504E.png
    290 KB · Views: 13
There must be a reason why not to start with bar, drill then use your boring bars to open a socket end out to 19mm ID on your metal lathe ?
That would be stiffer and you can bore the ID to a snug fit.

Ah, so I've probably caused some confusion! .. this is for woodturning. I don't own a metal lathe. The reason I posted it in the metal working category is it's more metal related than wood related.

1648055976872.png

Looking for pipe won't work - unless it's seamless tube, pipe has a weld down the length of it which interferes with fitting anything inside it. As stigmorgan says, get someone to knock up exactly what you want on a metal lathe. It'll be a much better job if it's a good fit. There's plenty of us with lathes that can do it.

Hi there Transatlantic
Below is a link to a firm that I bought a length of pipe from. In my case I needed an internal I/D of 6mm. I had to use a reamer to clean up the inside so I could insert a shaft of 6.7mm. Similar to yourself, this is for drilling out on a wood lathe.
They have various lengths of pipe with an I/D of 19mm. the thickest wall size being 3mm. Hope this helps, Niall

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391888962794

Buy some 30mm mild steel rod, put it in a chuck on your woodworking lathe, and drill it out (in stages) to 19mm diameter using a drill chuck in the tailstock. Slow rpm, high pressure, plenty of cutting fluid or oil.

Won't be super accurate (finishing with a reamer would be better than a drill bit, but a 19mm reamer might be quite expensive).

Buy some 30mm mild steel rod, put it in a chuck on your woodworking lathe, and drill it out (in stages) to 19mm diameter using a drill chuck in the tailstock. Slow rpm, high pressure, plenty of cutting fluid or oil.

Won't be super accurate (finishing with a reamer would be better than a drill bit, but a 19mm reamer might be quite expensive).

Not sure I would want to attempt that. I'd have to buy all the drill bits that are long enough too.

Transatlantic

I couldn't get my head around what you are trying to achieve here, but then I saw the Advanced lathe Tools "double-barrelled" boring bar Boring Bars | Advanced Lathe Tools by Steve Sinner

Is this what you are wanting to make?

Yes, that is the image i posted above.

In use, they look like this :

1648123583228.png

The bar itself will be chunky 25mm bar stock, with a 19mm hole in the end that can then accept 19mm tools like below
1648123679215.png

I'm not sure if this will help your internet searches or not, but I was taught that such a "pipe" with such a thick wall is not called a "pipe" at all, it's called a hollow bar.

I haven't looked recently, but my local steel stock holder lists a large range of standard sizes hollow steel bar with differing ODs and IDs (from which you can work out a suitable wall thickness for what you need). Yup, I appreciate that I'm not based in UK, but I guess - only GUESS mind! - that such basic "trade terminology" is much the same pretty much everywhere (with due allowance for language translation inconsistencies of course, and allowing for metric/Imperial too)!

HTH

I'm not sure if this will help your internet searches or not, but I was taught that such a "pipe" with such a thick wall is not called a "pipe" at all, it's called a hollow bar.

I haven't looked recently, but my local steel stock holder lists a large range of standard sizes hollow steel bar with differing ODs and IDs (from which you can work out a suitable wall thickness for what you need). Yup, I appreciate that I'm not based in UK, but I guess - only GUESS mind! - that such basic "trade terminology" is much the same pretty much everywhere (with due allowance for language translation inconsistencies of course, and allowing for metric/Imperial too)!

HTH

You are quite correct.

HTH

Thank you AES. Still not having much luck though. Lots of websites that will sell in bulk, but not the odd half meter :(

Does it have to be steel? I have some stock of 25.5mm O/d x 18.5mm I/d Aluminium tube I could open it up to 19mm depending how deep the boring bar need to go in, and I could thicken the end up to take 6mm grub screws.

Something like this:
image_2022-03-25_100433.png

Edit: How long is the tube required?

Thank you AES. Still not having much luck though. Lots of websites that will sell in bulk, but not the odd half meter :(

Yeah, I'm not so surprised at that "100 Metres, no problem. Half a metre? You must be joking!" The only thing I can suggest is if you have any blacksmiths, jobbing metal workers, etc, around. I've found (again locally, so not much help to you, sorry) a bloke locally who does all sorts of custom balustrades, frameworks, etc, etc, who, after the appropriate greasing of the "coffee pot" (not many tea pots here) that he was quite open to selling me the odd, what he considered to be "scrap off cuts."

That MAY help. Good luck.

Back