Metal detector usage?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simocco

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone use a metal detector for finding nails in reclaimed boards before planing, sawing etc..

if so what do you use? i have a load of old pine panels full of nails and screws that i want to use.

cheers

I've no idea if that is effective or not, but I'd say, if the overall length is 9" and the head is the bit that detects, that the clue is in the name - Little. Scanning a board would be time consuming. That's about the size of a large razor!
S

I think Steve's got a point about the small working area of the small metal detectors. I have one and it works fine but you do need to take your time and scan the full width of the board. I wish i'd done that recently though - I just planned about 500 ft of reclaimed timber that I thought I had removed all the nails from. Now I've got a chip in my brand new planer blades :cry:

regards

Brian

I'd look at the depth that they scan to first..the little wizard gives no details at all of this so i'd dismiss that 1 straight away !
I use a normal field type one (on a stick) & it picks up my steel toe caps..

My Mom does detecting (but not in timber) & I've been with her to this shop in Brum http://regton.com/... what these guys don't know about detectors it isn't worth knowing & they have always been very helpful. I've used her pin pointer that is very good but it's pricey.

Having just experienced the death of one of my tuffsaw blades I know now how much I might need a metal detector.

One of my kids handed me what looked like PAR Red Pine but turned out to be an old piece of school stage set with nails in it to resaw. Maybe I should invest in a metal detector or get the school to buy a bunch of M42 blades.

Togalosh":6ddksc2t said:
I'd look at the depth that they scan to first..the little wizard gives no details at all of this so i'd dismiss that 1 straight away !
I use a normal field type one (on a stick) & it picks up my steel toe caps..

My Mom does detecting (but not in timber) & I've been with her to this shop in Brum http://regton.com/... what these guys don't know about detectors it isn't worth knowing & they have always been very helpful. I've used her pin pointer that is very good but it's pricey.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Little Wizard, great little tool for the money, been using one for many years. Scan depth is around 18 or 19 mm, 3/4" or so. It maybe be small but it doesn't take much time to scan planks etc.

The Little Wizard is very effective, as Noel says, well worth the money. Have used one for a few years very successfully.

Sure, you could get a larger more powerful one if you were dealing with masses of larger timbers on a regular basis, but this one works great for my needs.

Cheers, Paul

James C":snesunmt said:
Having just experienced the death of one of my tuffsaw blades I know now how much I might need a metal detector.

One of my kids handed me what looked like PAR Red Pine but turned out to be an old piece of school stage set with nails in it to resaw. Maybe I should invest in a metal detector or get the school to buy a bunch of M42 blades.

Did exactly the same thing last month! Cutting clear acrylic sheet...there was a tiny brass pin in the bottom and I forgot....the cutting went a bit slow so I pushed it instead of checking and then realised what I was doing...only after buggerin' up the set so badly that it cut around corners after that!

Jim

I'm still a little annoyed this morning, brand new bandsaw, installed on Monday I had got out my lovely 3/4" 3TPI Fastcut from TuffSaws which previously cut like a dream (thanks to some helpful setup tips from a certain Mr Maskery) and now it screams on wood and is only worthy of the bin.

Luckily I listened to Steve and have a spare to use in the machine whilst I get another. (And a metal detector)

you could always get a small pinpoint probe, i use one for my metal detecting and fits in the hand very nicley there made by garrot

Thanks guys for all the very useful replies. i think that the little wizard will do fine and it is a reasonable price (although i need to add a tenner to ship to N ireland from rutlands! anyway....) for all the times that i will need to check reclaimed timber it should do fine

simocco":lsttooxq said:
Thanks guys for all the very useful replies. i think that the little wizard will do fine and it is a reasonable price (although i need to add a tenner to ship to N ireland from rutlands! anyway....) for all the times that i will need to check reclaimed timber it should do fine

Real rip-off the way Rutlands charge outrageous delivery price to here. A few years ago the head honcho came on here and said he'd look at the situation. Presume he did look at it and continued rubbing his hands.....
I can send a full set of irons (golf) to anyway in GB for less than the cost to get a single tin washer from Rutlands to my front door. One reason why I simply don't buy off them, I'd rather buy in Europe or elsewhere, often cheaper anyway. Just a pity Axminster don't stock any of the Wizard products any more or indeed anybody else (that I can find).

Back