Metal Detector Recommendations ???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Mike

Established Member
Reaction score
Good Morning all.....

Just wondered if any of you could recommend a metal detector for finding hidden nails, etc. ? .....as I'm just about to resize a table made of reclaimed pine, the table top is about 45mm thick and I really don't want to fork out on brand new Freud Pro blades for my circular saw every time I hit one or two....javascript:emoticon('](*,)')

There seem to be various 'multi-tools' out there of the stud, cables, metal detector varieties but the few details they give don't really fill me with much confidence to make a purchase decision.

It'd be really useful to know what types you've all used with what success ?

Many thanks in advance......Mike.

I think Martyn is referring to the Wizard detectors:
http://www.axminster.co.uk/name/wiz...r-Mini-Metal-Detector-Little-Wizard-32662.htm
(they do a larger much pricier one too)
I just use a very cheap Draper stud / metal / voltage detector (~£5) which has always done the job - but I guess these Wizard type devices can cover a wider area (ie quicker) - perhaps someone with one can comment on how they compare to the stud detector general use ones?
Cheers
Gidon

There seem to be various 'multi-tools' out there of the stud, cables, metal detector varieties but the few details they give don't really fill me with much confidence to make a purchase decision.

I use one of them (by Draper). Cheap, but it still does the job.

cheers,

Ike

I've the Little Wizard and for £16 odd it's great value. Picks up everything from fine staples to large calibre bullets (kinda common 'round these parts..).

Noel

Mike the detector Martyn is talking about is the "Lumber Wizard" which Norm uses in the New Yankee Workshop. As he says Rutlands sell it www.rutlands.co.uk
For some reason i cannot get the link working but the part number is 25505.

It does cost a lot more then the little wizard, but IMHO because it scans much deeper and wider than its little brother it is worth the extra money.

Regards

Woody

Edit: "TAKE A LOOK AT THIS. "Rutlands and Axminster are selling the wizard for £56, but someone on ebay has them up for between £19.99 and a "Buy it Now" price of £29.99 which seems a bargain. The little wizard that Noel mentions also seems good value for £10 (9.99 cheaper then Rutlands) http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Bargain-Bathrooms

I have no reason to doubt the sellers honesty, and i have used Ebay on many occasions with no trouble, but if you do buy from there be careful.

Gentlemen ! You've been a great help....Thankyou.

I am au fait with the workings of Ebay....a little too au fait according to the Mrs. !

I think I'll bag me one of those "lumber wizards", thanks very much for the tip off.....I don't know why I didn't think of looking on Ebay earlier.

By the looks of them I could probably get some part time work at Gatwick airport with it :lol:

Many thanks for all the replies....

Mike.

Just to say thanks for the heads up on the Lumber wizards on e-bay. I got one for 19.99 and it is excellent. it is everything they said, I tried it out on some timber and it picked out stuff I couldn't see, they looked like the legs of staples - small but it would have been enough to gap the blades on my planer.

Cheers

Drew :D

Drew, glad i could help. As you can see from the Rutlands price of £56, the ebay price of £19.99 is a steal. I paid a lot more then that for mine ](*,) But i must say that even £56 is a good price when you think of all the planer/tablesaw blades you will save from the bin.

Mr Mike did you get one?

Regards

Woody

Latest posts

Back