Metal detecting in wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Cheetham

Established Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone could reccomend a decent metal detector for wood. I like to play around with pallet wood quite often.

I have recently bought a at260spt spiral planer/thicknesser and want to be 100% that im not running wood through it that still has signs of nails in it. Last thing I want it wrecking the tungsten cutters.

Thank you in advance :)

Honestly, pallet wood and a thicknesser? That's not a combination I would even consider. It isn't just the nails, but the in-ground grit from being hauled across graveled yards

It isn't just the nails, but the in-ground grit from being hauled across graveled yards

+1

I've known professional workshops with a policy not to run boards through the thicknesser or planer that have rested on outside ground. And that's in the context of quick change Tersa blocks, if you're lucky enough to have a spiral block then I'd be wary about ever using pallet wood.

tried to forward the link to mine....but no go....
mines called a wand.....a handle plus about 10" inches of stick....worked a treat for me.....9v battery....

guy brought in some planking with the bark on.....about 2 " thick.....
luckily used the wand, found some barbed wire in one peice....!!!
obviously the tree had grown over it......
my Myford has a 20" cut......

Thanks Robgul.
@Rob Cheetham ,
The other make that I've heard is good is a "Little Wizard" which at one stage was difficult to source but I understand the "new improved" Rutlands are now offering
Buy Wizard Industries Little Wizard Metal Detector online at Rutlands.co.uk but it is dearer at £30
A dig around on Banggood and AliEpress might find a better price direct from China?

Another vote for a domestic Type wire/pipe detector. I don’t have a PT and only hand plane but the blades still get wrecked by embedded nails. My ancient Draper combined wire/pipe and stud detector works for me.

Honestly, pallet wood and a thicknesser? That's not a combination I would even consider. It isn't just the nails, but the in-ground grit from being hauled across graveled yards
I definetly see your point on this which is why im very carefull. I clean up the boards as much as possible before running them through and havent had a problem ever. just want a metal detector to add to making sure the boards are clear before running them through. I appreciate the comment lol

tried to forward the link to mine....but no go....
mines called a wand.....a handle plus about 10" inches of stick....worked a treat for me.....9v battery....

guy brought in some planking with the bark on.....about 2 " thick.....
luckily used the wand, found some barbed wire in one peice....!!!
obviously the tree had grown over it......
my Myford has a 20" cut......
Thanks Robgul.
@Rob Cheetham ,
The other make that I've heard is good is a "Little Wizard" which at one stage was difficult to source but I understand the "new improved" Rutlands are now offering
Buy Wizard Industries Little Wizard Metal Detector online at Rutlands.co.uk but it is dearer at £30
A dig around on Banggood and AliEpress might find a better price direct from China?
yes ive seen this one called the little wizard. Its currently sold out at rutlands but as soon as it comes back in stock I think its going to have to be this one. I dont want to trust a stud finder as it wont be the primary function. With this it seems its built for the exact purpose I need it for. Thanks

Back