Metal cutting bits for use with overhead routers.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
I have found some plans for a circular-saw cross-cutting jig.
I want to make the platform for the saw from some 10mm aluminium that I have.

So, can anyone tell me please, what type of cutters to use in my router, for milling the edges true and square.

I am au-fait with drilling and counter-sinking aluminium, and I think I can rig up a jig for truing the edges. I just need to know what cutters to order.
I.e, is the best way an end-mill, or a trimming cutter of some sort?

Thanks in anticipation.

John :ho2

If its just for trimming the edges then a HSS 2 flute milling cutter generally termed an slot drill will do the job, the 4 flute end mills may not be able to clear the swarf as well.

You can also get specific router bits for aluminium, have a look at Trends pro range.

Watch the metal splinters and run at teh slowest speed, but even that may be too fast.

J

Thanks Jason.

I just remembered, I have a chuck for my Coronet Major morticing attachment. That accepts 3/8" imperial shanks, and I do have a few milling and fluted cutters which are barely used. I can get a real slow speed on that machine and if I clamp the plate in the morticing fixture, I think it should work.

I also decided that for the sake of losing just 10mm depth of cut, I'll go for an overall ally throat-plate to cover the sole of the saw. So I shall have to mill a blade slot. But again, that's manageable with the router on slow. In effect this will turn the circular saw into an inverted table saw.

The design of the jig is such that it's an inverted cross-cut sled, and the blade is guarded by the jig itself. I don't know why I never thought of this before! I'll probably have to make a 45 degree guide too. Still, cheaper than a SCMS, and less greedy of space, if I mount it over my lathe.

Much obliged and have a great Christmas and New Year..

John :ho2

Back