Metabo SXE450 Turbo Tec vs Metabo SX E 450 Duo

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triggaaar

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking at good condition second hand sanders, is there much difference between these two options?

Thanks

Well looking at specs online it says the turbo is more powerful vibrates less, but I think the duo is 400W and the turbo 350W, which rules out the turbo being more powerful. Lots of people here have used these, so I thought I'd best check here.

400w is the mk II version i believe, the duo i believe means it comes with polishing pads as well as sanding discs. Its the same set i brought and well worth it, im still using the discs that came with it. The sanding bodies i believe are the same between the to kits.

anyone use a good place for metabo accessories. wouldn't mind a polishing pad for mine and replacement pads are well pricey here.

jeff

I got the SX 450 duo a couple of years ago now and haven't looked back it is a brilliant piece of kit. Mine came with the polishing heads and a few assorted discs. I did find that it wouldn't hold the Mirka discs so got a mirca backing pad and it works fine. I have used it even with wet discs and can't fault it. HTH. :D

I thought the duo meant that it had two methods of oscillating.

Anyway, the problem is, that I decided to buy the turbo - so I bought one on ebay, and I've now got it, and it's not the turbo.
The guy accidentally grabbed the wrong data when he advertised it.
I can obviously send it back, but that's a pain. But then reading the specs the Turbo is suggested to perform better (less vibration etc). Hoever the specs also say the Turbo model is more powerful, but it's 350W and the duo seems to be 400W.

So I don't know whether to send it back. What a palarva.

If you have a look on there website http://www.metabo.co.uk/Product-catalog ... fc8.0.html
You will see that they don't list the sander as a duo but the 450 turbbotec version has the 2 different oscillating settings. This being my only argument that the duo means nothing other then what you get with it as i have never seen the duo title on just the body alone. The 400w is the newer mark II version of the terbotec. One they don't list on there site strangely. You will find the duo title on adverts for the 350w model as well. Im pretty sure mine is the 350w version and i brought the duo kit.

In all honestly you will not even notice the difference with the extra 50watts. The 350 version performs fantastic and rips material off fast enough.

PS. after doing a search i have seen the duo title on the body only versions of the 350 and 400w. They both state the two oscillating settings regardless if the duo is in the title or not. So im at a loss to why the duo is there. My only conclusion is to not get it mixed up with older versions.

They are just confusing you with the word DUO.

Check this listing out. http://www.angliatoolcentre.co.uk/metab ... d1063.html

The title states its a SXE450 Turbo Tec Duo

The specs say its a SEX450 Turbo Tec 350w

Im really at a loss as i have came across the 350w listing stating its the mk II version. The 425 is a Turbo Tec but don't have the 2 oscillating settings. But it still seems all the 450 models come with the 2 oscillation settings.

The one that comes with the polisher and discs is the Pro Pack

???????

Thanks for the help guys.

The examples of the Turbo Tec that I see has a red dial at the top front, for adjusting speed. The one I've got has a yellow dial.
The Turbo Tec versions are also said to have a turbo boost button (I can't see it in the pictures), which mine doesn't have.
The two versions have a different colour dust collector too.

Here's the one I've picked up: SX E 450 Duo

Here's an example of what they say about the Turbo:
"The NEW SXE 450 TurboTec boasts many new features over its predecessor. It has more power, but at the same time is more compact and 500 grams lighter. "

I believe that the "Duo" is in the name of both models to distinguish it from some of Metabo's competition (most notably Bosch, as both DeWalt and Mafell's sanders are virtually identical to the basic 'Duo' model). It's all about the two oscillation speeds (3mm and 6mm).

'Turbotec' is the more recent development. While I don't know about the wattage, it does have this 'Turbotec' button but, from what I've been told, this doesn't seem to add a lot extra to the performance of the machine... Some people have told me that it just seems like an additional speed setting. :duno: Is there anyone who's used both models and would be able to comment?

I'd also be interested to hear whether what you say is true, and whether the Turbo model does vibrate less.

If you've payed a reasonable price for the older model then, I'd probably just stick with it (there was little wrong the design anyway, in my opinion... ;-)).

I bought the older version around 6 years ago. its been a very good tool
The bearings wore out last spring so i bought the the turbo version while the old one was sent back to metabo for repair.
The turbo version does seem to have a higher top speed, but once the old one was repaired there is not much to choose between them regarding the vibration.
I use the turbo for fine finishing and the older one coarse grits
The build quality is very good on the old one so i would be happy with either
I would also recommend there service dept, They are intrested in keeping your old tool working not selling you a new machine

I checked mine today for you, it has the duo oscillating settings (which i have never changed) and is 350w. If the one you was sent has a red button near the pad then you also have duo oscillating. Mine has a sticker next to it with an arrow in a circle pointing at the number 1 and the same next to it with the number 2.

Hudson Carpentry":10xoidlf said:
I checked mine today for you, it has the duo oscillating settings (which i have never changed) and is 350w. If the one you was sent has a red button near the pad then you also have duo oscillating. Mine has a sticker next to it with an arrow in a circle pointing at the number 1 and the same next to it with the number 2.

My new one is exactly the same as that.
badge says 450sxe turbotec and I bought the pro version with the box, discs, polishing pads etc.
Very happy with it so far but I really haven't had anything to compare against.

Bob

The one fault, i have with this sander which pop'ed up today. There is no quick marking to tell you which oscillating setting your at. You have to watch how wide the pad is oscillating to figure which setting your at.

Yeah it's got that button and I've tried it - dual oscilating between 6mm and 2.6mm (or so).
It's just not the latest version that I thought I was buying.

Hi guys, just to help clear any confusion here.

The SXE 450 TurboTec is the new version of the SXE 450 Duo. They both have the famous and totally unique 'duo' oscillating circuit. The duo oscillating circuit changes the orbit action of the base pad. The old one was 6 mm and 3 mm. The new one is 6.3 mm and 2.8 mm.

The 6.3 mm gives a wider orbit pattern (6.3 mm away from centre) resulting in a more aggressive action which gives you a far greater material removal rate so this is a great setting for sanding down rough wood very quickly in conjunction with a 40, 60 or 80 grit paper.

The 2.8 mm setting is especially for fine finishing or polishing work. The more focussed 2.8 mm orbit produces less pull as the oscillation away from centre is far less than the 6.3 mm setting or the 5 mm settings you will usually find on orbital sanders from other brands. This means you get a finer finish quicker and with more control, especially important when applying dies or waxes to furniture or even the car on the weekend which I must add this machine is VERY good at, even better than a dedicated polisher in my opinion.

As with regard to the motor size, the new TurboTec uses a smaller motor which helps make the machine 500 g lighter than the older model. The new motor however is more efficient and with an improved gear design and the Turbo boost switch the new machine is actually 500 rpm quicker than the old. All in all pretty much the same and in all honesty I can not physically tell or feel the difference between old and new, they both perform brilliantly.

What you will notice however is that the new TurboTec machine is lighter, more compact and much more comfortable to use + it comes with a newer filtering system called Intec which captures dust very well. We would however always recommend connecting your sander up to a vacuum cleaner like the Metabo ASR 2025 for near 100% dust capture, especially important if working with hard woods.

For independent reviews check out the metabo.co.uk web site here: http://www.metabo.co.uk/Product-Reviews ... 650.0.html

I hope this helps and all the best.

Back