Metabo SXE 450 Duo sander problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bookman

Established Member
Reaction score
I am having a problem removing the support plate (disc) from my sander - the screw is solid and I am in danger of making the allen key hole smooth if I try to turn the screw the wrong way. Can anyone tell me which way I should unscrew the locking screw to remove the support plate. Looking at the sander from below (i.e. with the sander upside down) the disc rotates in an anti clockwise direction, so I have assumed that the screw should be unscrewed in a clockwise direction, is this the correct assumption?

The handbook helpfully just says "remove the locking screw of the support plate" ... :twisted:

Hi,

I was wondering whether you'd managed to remove the sanding plate. I was trying to change the plate on mine earlier today. I couldn't get the allen screw to shift in either direction. Is there some sort of trick?

Thanks

Daniel

Hi Daniel. I didn't manage to undo the allen screw as I predicted. The people at Metabo were extremely helpful when I emailed them - if you are in any doubt, you unscrew the plate by turning the screw in an Anti-Clockweise direction as you look at the plate from below. Blister's suggestion of using a socket bar (or pipe over the allen key) is good.

I am fortunate in living not too far from the Metabo service centre at Southampton so I took my sander to them and they had it ready for me the following morning. They even fitted a new sanding plate within the charge of around £24 which i considered excellent value and service.

Sod's Law being what it is, I promptly dropped the sander off my bench the following day and broke the handle on the top of the machine! A replacement cost me a further £11 - such is life ...

At least I was struggling to turn it in the correct direction! Looks like I'll have to invest in something with a bit more leverage than the allen key that Metabo supply for the purpose. Failing that, it's the long trip to the service centre.

Thanks to you both for the comments.

Cheers,

Daniel

Yes its anti clockwise looking from below. It is tight....very tight. I replaced the disk on mine a while ago. Now I will have to have the bearings replaced by the look of it! Mine has been running slow over the last few weeks.

Back