Metabo Powermaxx screwdriver kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been waiting for these to come into the country, and at last got one a few days ago from D&M Tools who seem to have a special relationship with Metabo
http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/store/newsear ... ubmit.y=17

Dismantling and assembling kitchens requires lots of screws to be undone and done up, many of them in difficult to access places. I have a Metabo Powergrip which serves me well, although the switch has become unreliable

The Powermaxx is a much better machine, variable speed, two gears and an easier to handle shape. The kit includes and angle drive and a chuck. Excellent value and thoroughly reccommended

John

I've been meaning to ask if anyone has tried one of these - I thought you might be the first to get one, John!

Have you tried the right-angle chuck yet? Any good?

Cheers,
Neil

I forgot to say, Metabo must have high hopes for this tool because they have set up a dedicated website for it - lots of detail if anyone is interested...

Cheers,
Neil

Also I think Bosch (blue) will be releasing their versons very shortly.

Noel

Looks really neat and useful. I've curently got the Bosch IXO which is actually pretty good - ideal for flat-pack furniture :oops: and much better than all the standard cordless screwdrivers...

Presumably it's a mechanical clutch ?
Panasonic used to do a cordless screwdriver for around £100 with an electronic clutch which cut the power when it reached it's setting.

johnelliott":dm98s735 said:
The kit includes and angle drive and a chuck. Excellent value and thoroughly reccommended

£90 for the Metabo all in, or £56 just for the angle driver attachment for a Festool. If a pro like John's happy with the metabo then no point even thinking about the Festool drill-drivers...

Noel":dm98s735 said:
Also I think Bosch (blue) will be releasing their versons very shortly.

If my experience of Bosch Blue vs Metabo is anything to go by the Bosch won't be as powerful even at the same voltage. The batteries probably won't last as long either. :roll:

I'll be interested to hear more about this.

Are the batteries form the Powergrip interchangeable with this. I too think the POwergrip is great but I find that its longitudinal shape knackers my wrist when the higher torques kick in. This looks like a great remedy and more.

OT - The irish contingent are very proud of their houses aren't they judging by the avatars!

Cheers

T

tim":tn1pksnw said:
OT - The irish contingent are very proud of their houses aren't they judging by the avatars!
Cheeky! Mine is only the workshop, though, so perfectly valid I think :p

I must say Noely's situation looks idyllic, though...

Cheers,
Neil

Ah, that's also my workshop, with intregal living quarters.
I was up a tree the other evening fixing the kid's swing (well a rope and a tyre), just the greenery is so much more green than the green you lot have.
Speaking of green Metabos, maybe best to wait and see how the Bosch versions stack up. I had the Powergrip for 2 days , sent it back, bad noise from the gears and just way too awkward in my hands. But I guess it suits some people, but not all. The Powermax looks alot better.
Pete, I've a wee IXO thing. I've only charged it once, hope there's more torque the more you charge it 'cause at present it's useless.

Noel

Noel":16owr16j said:
Pete, I've a wee IXO thing. I've only charged it once, hope there's more torque the more you charge it 'cause at present it's useless.

Not a huge amount of torque, but enough for general around the house kind of stuff - door handles, plugs, flat-packs and so on. If you want more just don't pres the switch and turn it manually...

Pete

"If you want more just don't pres the switch and turn it manually... "

That's what I've been doing when I try and use it. It won't drive screws home and won't undo screws and we're talking itty bitty screws. I'll charge it a few more times and see if it improves.

Noel

cambournepete":1gr1fzfx said:
If you want more just don't pres the switch and turn it manually...
Ah, I've got tools like that. Except they're the cut down, racing versions, with both switch and battery missing to lessen the unnecessary weight.

Some people call them "screwdrivers"...

I'm sorry, I did try to resist for all of, oh, 30 seconds. :lol:

Even if you're not neanderthal-inclined, chances are you probably have an old brace hanging around the place. A bit chucked in one makes an excellent driver of screws when you need plenty of torque, fwiw.

Cheers, Alf

The batteries are interchangeable with the Powergrip, which is a good thing because it means that I have lots of batteries as I actually have two Powergrips (with the torches)
I used the angledrive this afternoon and it worked fine. It has a collar with an allen screw which means it can be fitted in any position and will stay there which makes it easy to resist the torque reaction I get with a hand-held angle drive,
There is plenty of torque for the 4 and 5mm screws that I use.
This tool has already become indispensable, when the price drops, as it may well do, I shall be buying another one just in case

John

johnelliott":32xwj3jf said:
I used the angledrive this afternoon and it worked fine.
Thanks, John - definitely one for the wishlist...

Cheers,
Neil

Hi All,

Well it's been a while I have been roaming the forum. I was out for the last month.
2 weeks ago I purchased the Powermaxx after dropping my powergrip on the floor rendering it useless. It must have fallen right on the tip and bent the inner shaft (sorry if this is a ridiculous explanation).

Like Noel I thought handling the powergrip at first was very awkward but I actually got used to it and felt I needed to replace it when I broke it. I only have the Metabo BST12 after that. I am sure you'll all agree you really need something to drill the pilot hole and then another driver to screw in.

The things that I didn't like on the powergrip:
- Difficult to grip despite the name (although as I said I got used to it).
- Far too slow screwing up
- A toggle switch to screw unscrew added to the grip issue

So how does my new powermaxx compare:
- The grip is excellent
- The 2 settings (screwing and drilling) resolve the issue of screwing too slowly.
- Excellent torque for the size of the tool
- Strong batteries
- Excellent accessories, the angle accessory was already in use even though I didn't think I'd use it much. It works really well.

One critic I would make is on the screw/unscrew swith, it's actually not that easy to switch not using your other hand. Although I seem to get the hang of it already.

I am very pleased with the tool. I think it's a perfect partner for my 12v drill driver. I was assembling bannisters early this week; lots of pilot holes and screwing which the powermaxx handled admirably on it's first battery charge. Don't try to tackle long screws with it of course, it's only a 4.8V tool. The torque is exceptional considering :shock:
Yes the powergrip batteries can be used on the powermaxx so I now have 4 batteries (John you win there!).

A good price can be had at Lawson-his but beware. I will post to tell you all about their fraudulent credit card policy!!!

Good price for the POwermaxx from Tooled-Up.com. £84.90 including courier delivery. Ordered via Web Thursday, delivered today.
So far, like the powermaxx very much, particularly the angledrive..

John

after dropping my powergrip on the floor rendering it useless. It must have fallen right on the tip and bent the inner shaft (sorry if this is a ridiculous explanation).

I did exactly this about a year ago. Miffed that while I could buy replacement batteries , I couldn't buy replacement bodies.

Anyway, did buy a new one (plus torch kit) but stll never really got on with it. Bought a Powermax two weeks ago. Just the business. Light, better built, doesn't try to unscerw your hand from your arm...

Thoroughly recommended. Should have a slightly bigger chuck though - 6.5mm bits max is a bit rubbish.

Cheers

Tim

tim":jl7f3wb8 said:
after dropping my powergrip on the floor rendering it useless. It must have fallen right on the tip and bent the inner shaft (sorry if this is a ridiculous explanation).

I did exactly this about a year ago. Miffed that while I could buy replacement batteries , I couldn't buy replacement bodies.

Anyway, did buy a new one (plus torch kit) but stll never really got on with it. Bought a Powermax two weeks ago. Just the business. Light, better built, doesn't try to unscerw your hand from your arm...

Thoroughly recommended. Should have a slightly bigger chuck though - 6.5mm bits max is a bit rubbish.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim,

The problem is that if the machine came with a larger chuck it would be open to overloading. However if you really need a larger chuck you can fit any size of chuck to the Powermaxx as long as it has a 20 UNF thread. This is a standard size and you can pick up a good all metal keyless chuck (1/2") for around £20.

DG

i've always looked at these as being "micky mouse toys" as i owned one many years ago when they first came out and the battery lasted for 3 screws and couldn't turn a no.8.

Are they really handy to have, my sparky friend swears by them but i've always looked at drill-drivers. How long does the battery last on fitted a kitchen say??

Andy

LyNx":3w33oop8 said:
i've always looked at these as being "micky mouse toys" as i owned one many years ago when they first came out and the battery lasted for 3 screws and couldn't turn a no.8.

Are they really handy to have, my sparky friend swears by them but i've always looked at drill-drivers. How long does the battery last on fitted a kitchen say??

Andy

The thing is with these is that they are professional machines. They have a 3 year warranty which even covers the batteries & charger. To answer your question on battery life, Metabo quote 90 1.5" no8 screws into softwood per charge.

I've had one of these for about 3-4 months now and in general it works well (and is still a lot better than the powergrip) but I do have some gripes which potential purchasers may find useful.

1. The keyless chuck often comes off the spindle rather than releasing the drill bit.

2. The battery can get disconnected by the heel of the palm if the bit jams or the torque is set too high.

3. I haven't done the 'number of screws per charge' test but there is a noticeable drop off in speed relatively early after a new battery is inserted - maybe 30 or 40 screws.

Do I regret buying it - no, not really. Where the powermax is great is that its very light and easy to stick into a toolbox. It really comes into its own when putting in predrilled drawer slide screws ie where there is little torque.

Is it worth the £60/ £70 (or whatever) - yes probably. I realise that i need something with a bit more umph so am going to get an impact driver.

Cheers

Tim

Latest posts

Back