Metabo....oops!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Metabo SX 450 orbital sander and haven't used it for while as it started slowing down and generally playing up. I have a small air powered palm sander that I have been using. I came to use the Metabo today and found it very slow and vibrating badly. I took it apart to see what was wrong and found that the top bearing had seized solid and the bottom bearing has some play in it. Worst of all the top bearing had melted its housing in the plastic casing allowing it to wobble around! :shock: It is about 4 years old but has done a lot of work in that time so I suppose it hasn't done bad. I can buy all the parts on the internet and it will cost me about £40 to replace them. Now the question is does anyone know how to remove the bearings on this machine? The small top bearing has a plastic dust cover below it and there seems to be no way to get anything below it to press against? Can anyone suggest a way to remove it? :?

Mailee,

"Worst of all the top bearing had melted its housing in the plastic casing allowing it to wobble around! :shock:"

If the bearing has melted the plastic to such an extent that it wobbles around, will the standard part ever be a snug fit?

xy

No it won't. The replacement parts include the housing as well. :roll: I can't understand how it has happened as I always have the vacuum attached when in use?

Fair enough mailee, I thought you to be a guy not to have missed things like that. I probably would have in the heat of the moment.
Hope it goes well.

xy

Back