Metabo kgs254i plus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shedman

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Very simple question - I have seen one of these saws second hand for £300

Is it a good buy, or is it overkill for home use??

Many thanks

It's a very good saw. If it's in good condition, that's a good price.
For a SCMS, it's a monster. Quite big, heavy and well built. The million dollar question is whether you have enough space to set it up or space to store it. I bought mine virtually unused fro a guy renovating an old 3 storey terraced house from a basement workshop. It was too big for him. I have a single garage workshop and it's a challenge for me too. I can't use it inside.
I fitted mine to a Dewalt DE7400 rolling tablesaw stand with the slides aligned parallel to the stand, not across it. This makes it quite practical to pull out onto the drive for use, but I wouldn't want to load it in and out of a vehicle. The saw's fastened to a ply board to adapt it to the brackets. That said, there's a good top handle and a younger, stronger guy than me could pass on the stand and lift it into a van and out to a jobsite as long as he didn't have to carry it far or too often.
Take a very serious look at the dimensions - especially full forward to full back - before you decide. For home use, if you have a double garage and crosscut enough stuff, yes. I like it far too much to sell it but as a single garage guy it's really too big for me. If you want that motor I don't think there any other options out there ...
The pluses :
That induction motor is a rare feature and excellent. So much smoother and quieter than a brush motor. Personally I love it.
Cut quality is great with a sharp blade.
I like it far more than the big 10" Makita that I use regularly.
Dust extraction is very good for a SCMS. It's better designed than most out there. Theres a big difference between using with and without a vacuum.

What are your alternatives ? The Bosch axial glide saw - smaller, smooth action, no induction motor. Kapex, much smaller footprint. no induction motor. Anything comparable will be 2-3x the price of the Metabo if not more...

Thank you! It'll go into a single garage sized workshop that already quite full!! I am off with my tape measure now!!

I measured mine today in the square cut position.
Fully forward to full back distance 1200mm. 700mm wide base. 600mm max height above whatever surface or stand you put it on.
Cheers

Thanks again. That is enormous! The space where I had in mind for it won't accommodate that. I'm thinking it might just be a little too much for my needs!

Probably wise :)
These just for the benefit of anyone reading the thread in posterity ...
20190319_175937.jpg
Full back
20190319_180004.jpg
Full forward

Attachments

• 20190319_175937.jpg
    20190319_175937.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 302
  • 20190319_180004.jpg
    20190319_180004.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 302
Back