Metabo Duo sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
Not so much 'buying advice' as advice - since I've already bought it!

Actually there seems to be a problem with it and Axminster in their usual understanding way are having it picked up tomorrow because I think it may be faulty.

I found it to be fantastic on a flat, horizontal surface but as soon as the sander was applied to a vertical flat surface, if it wasn't applied dead flat and parallel and I mean dead flat the pad would start to undo itself. Net result was that if the pad was removed from the timber, the oscillation of the sander would aggravate this causing the pad to rub against the metal casing causing damage to the back of the pad.

Now I have only had the sander a day and I know that there may well be fault in my technique (I've never had an ROS before since I have a trusty Bosch 1/2 sheet which I use all the time) but I found that it needed such care on application that I couldn't help feel that it wasn't just me.

Can anyone shed light - is this a common problem?

Cheers

Tim

I've never experienced anything like that with either of my ROSs.

Tim,

It does sound like a fault with the machine. I have the Duo and have never experienced that problem. Can't imagine, anyway, that there is anything wrong with your technique! :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Used the Metabo for a couple of years noe and never had that problem Tim so definately sounds like a faulty machine :cry:

Mine works five vertical or horizontal, have you checked the allen screw in the center of the pad is tight, may be a lefthand thread.

Jason

JasonB":1ph2ptrb said:
have you checked the allen screw in the center of the pad is tight, may be a lefthand thread

Yes :lol: :lol: Its exactly the sort of thing thats easy to get wrong. Tightened up securely and the third time it happened I tightened it to the point where I thought it would strip the thread if I went further.

I did notice that the two flats on the pad which locate it in relation to the allen bolt fixing on the sander were very shallow, which made it difficult to immediately locate it but once in place it was simple enough to hold there to tighten up.

Its made me wonder now whether the pad is faulty - much more likely than the sander - didn't think of that. I'll go and look before the courier arrives.

Cheers

Tim

Yep it looks like its the pad. I bought a 'soft' one as well so I have something to compare it with and the 'flats' on the hard one are very shallow. They are also worn but i think that might be an artefact from the actions described above.

Is it okay to use the soft pad on flat surfaces?

Axminster are contacting Metabo to arrange for a new pad to be sent out to me. I have had reason to speak to them several times in the past month or so for various orders, technical advice, missing show tickets etc. Every time they have been nothing but courteous and helpful.

It would be remiss of me to also not mention that I have also had dealings with both Chestnut and Richard Barry over the same period and have had similar experiences there. So thumbs up to one and all.

Cheers

Tim

Update:

Spoke to Axminster yesterday. They told me to refuse the carrier when he turned up and that they would contact Metabo to get a new hard pad (they don't keep them in stock as they come with the machine).

In the post this morning was a new hard pad direct from Metabo. Sander is working excellently (it isn't my technique thank goodness).

Well done Axminster and Metabo!

Cheers

Tim

Latest posts

Back