METABO DH330 BENCH TOP PLANER / THICKNESSER

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazza_0208

Established Member
Reaction score
Considering buying the Metabo DH330, I am sure someone on here has and uses one, any drawbacks?

Thats V's the dewalt 733

I've had one since November laster year. I dont use it everyday but it has had quite a lot of use and havent noticed anything to be concerned about. All you really need to do is level out the infeed and outfeed beds (easy to do with a spanner) and buy a good pair of ear defenders.

gazza_0208":2kb6vahi said:
Considering buying the Metabo DH330, I am sure someone on here has and uses one, any drawbacks?

Thats V's the dewalt 733
I have a DH330.

I like it.

Blades are a bit more expensive than typical.

I like the locking head. With a bit of tweaking of the tables you can minimise snipe.

I was going to buy the orange Triton but spent more on the Metabo due to its locking head and the fact that the other Metabo stuff I have has been decent.

Noise wise, all these lunchbox style planers are noisy. Universal motors are noisy. Having said that, it does seem a bit quieter than the old Titan combo machine I had.

Brilliant machine based on the old Elektra Beckum thicknesser and though made in Taiwan now rather than West Germany, I can see no difference in build quality or performance over the EB one I owned several years ago.

Like all machines in this class it is noisy and it ejects shavings at a fast rate of knots but it leaves an excellent finish. I looked at the DW and Makita equivalents but the Metabo was the one I chose based on my past experience with the EB, its wider planing capacity and the fact that it was appreciably cheaper than the two main competitors. I am very impressed with mine, the depth guage is very accurate and the planer head is 100% parallel to the table. The in and out feed tables are adjustable but mine were spot on out of the box.

Regarding shavings, a good chip extractor is essential unless you are working outside and can sweep/blow or leave in situ. I use a twenty year old EB one which is very similar to the latest offerings from parent firm Metabo.

I'm also considering buying a DH330, but don't have enough in the piggy bank for a chip extractor at the moment...

Aside of dust / mess, is the quality of finish affected by not using an extractor?

I had a DW733 for ages. Great, robust bit of kit. Blade changing took 10 mins, rotating blade stock a good idea, via local sharpeners, about twice a year for busy amateur use. Replacements from Applebys not too expensive. Extraction was easy, angled spout, no dust or chippings escaped it, only 1000W extractor.
HTH, Sam.

Hi,

let me add my question here...it seems the Christmas is early for me this year. after I asked (and ordered) the table saw here, my wife said she'll buy me *any* tool (within reason, of course) I want for my phd. So the "next" tool I was going to buy was planer / thicknesser and I cannot decide what to buy..

So, to be concise: I'd like both thicknesser and jointer, thicknesser would be first if I chose separate machines. I'm thinking about one of three options:
a) DH330 plus a tabletop jointer later (is there something good in this price range??)
b) HC 260 c combo (I know it's narrower)
c) beefier three-blade Chinese import machine that can also take spiral knives and can be upgraded with mortising unit like Holzmann HOB260NL: (please replace two (DOT)'s with dots as I don't have permission to post links) www(DOT)holzmann-maschinen(DOT)at/EN/combined-planer-and-thicknesser-684 (as you can see, the price is similar to HC 260 c).

What do you guys think? :) (C) seems the best bang for buck...but there's no free meal hence I'm asking you guys for opinion :)

I'm also considering the the metabo. I was going to get the dewalt solely because of the helical head upgrade but it appears you can get the same type of helical head for the dh330 in Canada. Although it would be good if it was available in the UK. I have a 1200watt lumberjack extractor on my titan planer/thicknesser it copes OK

I need to move things around in my limited space w/shop The Metabo was just too heavy for a one man lift. I returned the one I bought without even using it after trying to lift it out of the shipping box!
So went for the Makita, which I have used very little but seems to tick all the boxes.
One small gripe about the Makita is; you can only fit the chippings extractor one way round which dictates how you attach the Makita to an extractor.

Steve

I'm also considering buying a DH330, but don't have enough in the piggy bank for a chip extractor at the moment...

Aside of dust / mess, is the quality of finish affected by not using an extractor?
I’ve used mine without extraction. It doesn’t necessarily affect quality. Makes a massive mess on your floor though.

Back