metabo bas 317 bandsaw banging on top wheel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graycbr

Established Member
Reaction score
bandsaw.jpg

metabo bas 317 is banging on wheel adjust bracket in the red square ..
was working fine a couple of mths ago ,not been used moved etc …
photo is stock but mine is just starting on show wear on bottom of arm in the red square
on back is the adjust knob which you wind in out to change tracking on blade
took off table & set guides off so only blade running freely but still banging blade set teeth in middle of top wheel ..
tired to adjust so don't bang but blade fly's off ..
any advice would be great

Attachments

• bandsaw.jpg
    bandsaw.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 132
Just throwing out a guess on this CBR.
First thought was, that the tension of your blade broke a weld on the mounting bracket carriage on your top wheel, but it might be that the bearings given up also.
I would imagine the first scenario is more likely.
Is the wheel able to drop/lift for installing a new blade?
Guessing someone will be of assistance, before I can get to my folks to check what the movement is like without a blade on.
i.e... if its a smooth motion, or if its jumpy when the wheel is being dropped/lifted.
(I have a Elektra Beckum BAS 315, and gonna take a gamble on this, that its the same machine.)
It might be worth looking up the EB BAS315 to see if its the same, (Metabo took EB over).
Since they've been around longer, it's more likely this has happened to one of them.

Will keep an eye on this thread to see if you get sorted, if you don't, I can take some snaps, and give the top wheel a shake.

Just another thought....
Is the jacking bolts on the rear of the lower wheel still there?
It's not recommended to go at these, if everything is still snug.
(My folks secondhand machine has nuts welded to the jacking housing, don't know what the issue was beforehand, which led to this being required,
but another possibility.

Tom

I would guess wheel bearing.
Take off the blade, hold the wheel like you would a steering wheel and see if you can shake it front to back. if so, its the bearing

Back