Metabo 260 planer thicknesser/problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumberman

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just purchased a metabo P/T. I have never owned a P/T before, thought I was doing well managed to plane one face
and one adjacent edge successfully, to complete the task and plane the remaining face I set up the thicknessing mode, set the table to 20mm, the thickness of the wood less 1mm switched on tried to feed the wood through nothing happened it would just not go through, backed the height indicatror of to less than 20mm but the wood went through alright but came out the other side untouched. I tried a few times using different adjustments but no joy.

I am obviously doing something wrong can anyone advise please. The instructions are a bit sparse quite useless really

Any help would be much appreciated.

Harry

Sounds like your blades are set too low, if it's not planing when in thicknessing mode. Can be quite a fiddly job to re-set them. It can be done by eye but for me it's more luck than judgement and takes forever, well at least an hour. You either need a jig or use a dial indicator supported in some form of stand.

Before you try anything more complicated try waxing the thicknesser bed first, makes a surprising difference.

Then if it's not feeding through it will likely be due to the timber being too low relative to the feed rollers above, or too high. Adjust the height of the thicknesser table accordingly until it does feed through.

Once it has fed through then measure the actual thickness of the resulting timber and adjust the thicknesser measuring scale to that actual thickness. It could be not set accurately and indicating incorrectly by a mm or two which could be contributing to the problem ?

Cheers, Paul

Back