Message to ALF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Open your workshop door and window with the present gale blowing down here it should blow all the dust away.

Unless of course it reaches 87 or 91 strenghts then it will blow the workshop away.

Heh heh. No dice 'cos no windows. Open the workshop door and the roof will probably end up in Camborne... :shock: At least the walls should be alright. 2ft thick granite isn't easily wafted over. :lol: How about you? This light breeze is nothing to us hardy souls in Cornwall, but I worry about you Devonians :p

Cheers, Alf

With everything crossed that there won't be a power cut. :|

CHIBA
Surely the wind is not with you as well at this time?

ALF
I am about 400 ft. up at the top of Torbay and the wind is bolowing straight off the water. Waves as far as I can see are coming in.

devonwoody":12gdj4pt said:
I am about 400 ft. up at the top of Torbay and the wind is bolowing straight off the water. Waves as far as I can see are coming in.
Yikes :shock: Although being 400ft up could be considered a Good Thing - at least you won't get wet feet. :roll:

Chiba, you're not wrong there. Everywhere seems to be catching it this year. :(

Cheers, Alf

The earthquakes were as bad as I've felt in my 7+ years here, and three big ones in a row is pretty unheard of, and then yet more big ones in the days following. We had one this very afternoon that at the epicentre was a lower 6 out of 7 on the Japanese scale, which is "big", believe me; destroyed some houses. So, it's been... exciting. Of course, every time the ground moves we all think it's "the big one", as Tokyo's way overdue for it.

We've also had some big typhoons this month, with one particularly nasty one that killed a lot of people. All in all, quite a month. Just the plague of locusts to go really! :cry:

chiba":12yxynu8 said:
Just the plague of locusts to go really! :cry:
On the whole, if I was you, I'd be stocking up the bug killer... :roll:

Funny thing, I couldn't remember whether I should have been commiserating with you about typhoons or earthquakes, so I didn't say anything. I thought it was 'cos I couldn't remember, not 'cos it was both. :(

Cheers, Alf

Chiba,

What part of Japan are you in? I visited Kakagowa and Kobe about 20 years ago with my job.

We had a very small earthquake while I was there - I had never experienced one before, and so found it pretty alarming, but the locals were very blase about such a tiny tremor.

However - I have to point out that the earthquake was less alarming than some of the food! :D

devonwoody":gnczxq2f said:
Open your workshop door and window with the present gale blowing down here it should blow all the dust away.

Certainly blowing my dust away - I can certainly not reccomend extending your workshop at the moment. Currently, I haven't got the roof felt secured, nor is it watertight. At the least the main part of it is still OK - I've built the extension in such a way as the final stage will be to dismantle the old side wall, which will be incased within the new extension - thereby guarenteeing security, and watertightness throughout.

Adam (who has everything crossed that it won't all have blown away by the morning).

Tony":3jf17tlw said:
Adam

Any pictures of the extension?

Taken a couple - I'll post 'em later today hopefully.

It's nothing special - just looks the same as currently - only a bit bigger.

DW,

It's all down to you then, the lovely summer we've had. :roll:

I think the S.W. has the bad weather because it's attracted by
all the galoot's down there with their shiny planes giving off the vibe....
.... rust me,rust me

As for the late hour, i always work to the wee small's, except tonight,
as i got a job to Harlow from Heathrow :D :D :D

TX

To TX

A story of woe,

I went to Heathrow once using National Coach and was due to fly out the next day. At the time my daughter was stationed at Hayes (about one mile from Heathrow) whom we were staying the night before our outward flight.
The coach stop at heathrow as you most probably know is positioned next to the taxi rank. You can guess what happened :twisted: :twisted:
It took a taxi inspector to demand that I was given a carriage. (the poor taxi driver got a £2 fare which he had queued for over 2 hours)
However the taxi inspector did give the driver a pass allowing readmission to Heathrow without bringing in passengers.
The taxi drivers were almost prepared to pay me to go away :p :p :p

devonwoody":27kjfdud said:

Unless of course it reaches 87 or 91 strenghts then it will blow the workshop away.
You wouldn't want what happened to my parents in South Africa 30 years ago.
They regularly had small twisters, you could see them as they crossed the road but too small to do more than make a minor dust swirl.
My dad had just mowed the lawn when one came across the lawn, through the front door and out the back leaving all the grass spread around the living room.
lmao

DW,

that still happens now, although not the best job in
the history of best jobs, it's alright really,as you say,
you do get a pass to go straight back to the terminal.
I done four of said jobs tonight before getting one into
London.
What's worse is when someone tells you they couldn't
be bothered to wait for the hotel shuttle bus service( comes
every 15 mins), then proceed to moan about how much the
taxi fare is :x :roll:

TX

ps; Let me know when you're going there again...........
......so i can take the night off! :lol:

Hi TX

Beat this one.

A fellow country man of ours comes rolling along to the taxi rank :evil: :evil:
The taxi driver jumps out and helps the prospective passenger into the back seat of the taxi, shuts the door after getting some form of address, runs round the back of the taxi and opens the other door, and says to the
kind of sleeping passenger "OK jock you are there now and gets handed a fiver for his trouble. :D :D :D
(Now all you non taxi drivers out there, the driver did the passenger a favour because if he was sick in the taxi the charge is around £50.)

Back