Mens health and the imagining of invulnerability

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lanemaux

In Memorium
Reaction score
As this is my last opportunity to make a statement on the subject of the prostate from the privacy of my own den for a bit , here we go.
Some time back I began to notice certain changes in my bodies functions. What was once an easy and plentiful flow had become a feeble trickle oft repeated. I put this down to encroaching old age and tried my damnedest to ignore it. For most of a year the condition very gradually grew worse until one evening when it very suddenly got MUCH worse. In fact the flow ceased entirely. At the hospital I was treated to a device that was placed directly into my most private portions known as a catheter. For 3 months I was obliged to carry my waste in a plastic bag until it could be emptied discreetly. Very non habit forming I can assure you. While I was carrying this little piece of @#$% ( the bag is about all I am bitter about) around I also got a tentative diagnosis. No surprise that it was an aggressive form of prostate cancer. That brings me about up to date. On this coming Monday I begin my radiation treatments at London Ontario cancer clinics. Since this is a couple hundred miles from my home this weekend is the last of my time on a puter of my own to say what I feel must be said .
Please pay heed to my mistakes amigos. Because of my stupid foolish ignoring of a deadly health problem , well , stage four prostate cancer is no joke. Please do not fall prey without taking all possible precautions , chief of which is to go to your doctor and get the test done. If you have gotten it done , remember to schedule for it again when it is recommended by your physician. I have grown right fond of you lot and could not forgive myself if I did not give this warning . YES , it can happen to you. If you know soon enough , then treatment can be far more effective. Once again , please , get tested and get ahead of my curve . it is for your benefit.
OK, rant over and I can go back to being your genial jester . Be well and play it safe mi amigos

Hi

Sorry to hear of you problem :(

But please look on the positive side , I know 3 close friends / workmates that have all had this and all 3 have had different treatment , and all are up and running again :p

Hope all goes well for you . Please keep us updated as to how things are going

As a result of my closest friends problem , he advised I go and be checked and said " its only a blood test to check your PSA levels "

So I phone my local doctors and book myself in

Come The day and off trots Allen to the doctors :lol: Injections NO PROBLEM :lol:

In I go to be asked " Hello and what can I do for you ? "

I think :-k :-k :-k Strange , I told them on the phone why I was coming

OK I thought just tell him , " I have come for a prostrate test / check "

The doctor gets up and walks over to his storage unit and returned with a pair of latex gloves and a strange looking tube like tooth paste

I was then asked to get on the couch and drop my trousers :? :?

OK done

Strange place for a blood test :-k :-k :-k Thinks Allen

On go the gloves

and BANG :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

You know what comes next :roll: :roll: :roll:

Made my eyes water

On a plus side , while he was doing a tour of my but :oops: :oops: reports in that all in normal

Well it was for him , but was a shock for me :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Never did get my blood test !!!!

Mike

Thanks for the advice. Hope the treatment goes well. Best wishes to you and your family.

Sheesh, very sorry to hear that, Mike. Doesn't help having to be away from home for treatment either. Wishing you all the best.

lanemaux":17ftktsj said:
I have grown right fond of you lot...
Y'know you might want them to test your head as well, while you're there... :wink:

The best of luck with your treatment, and many thanks for your post. At a time like this is it would be natural, and excusable to be focusing on yourself and your recovery. That you thought of others, and how to help them avoid going through the same difficulty is really admirable.

Look forwards to hearing you've got the all clear as soon as possible.

Hope all goes well for you. Wise words of advice there.. If you know it feels wrong, something probably is wrong - get to the doctors.
As for the pee bag, I found mine was great for keeping my leg warm on a cold morning :)

Si

Very best wishes for your treatment and for your frank warning.

I wish we men could be as open and supportive about this as women have about breast cancer. They say that denial kills more men than anything else.

Sorry to hear that my friend, I've been there, I was diagnosed 5 yrs ago, so fingers crossed. But oh dear, so many times have I pleaded with men of certain age to TAKE THE TEST, please.

Roy.

Thanks for your post Mike.

You're right to sound the warning of course but as has been mentioned above we men don't always take heed. I had reason to be tested some months ago and fortunately I was given the all clear for cancer but my doc will still carry out the PSA test each year from now on.

I hope everything goes well for you in the future,

best wishes

Brian

This may come as a surprise to many, but it is a clinical fact.
Postate cancer is normally an old man's disease, live long enough and you will get it!
By the time we reach 90 yrs the number of men with cancerous prostates is very high, it is not a disease that some one else gets, we get it!
Caught early the cure rate is nigh on 100%!

Roy.

There was a lengthy article in Scientific American about prostate cancer screening (in America, the UK doesn't screen for this) a month or so ago. To cut a long story short the consensus seems to be that screening is doing more harm than good there. In summary they said: prostate cancer is common in older men but in most cases it's slow to progress and in those cases a watch and wait approach is probably better because more likely than not you'll die of something else before your prostate gets you. The problem with treatment of slow growing cancers is the high chance of serious side effects. Worth discussing with your doctor if you get a positive test.

All that is absolutely true wc, but what it ignores is that 'watchful waiting' etc requires the knowledge that the man has the disease.
Stage one PC is non detectable currently and has no symptoms.
Stage two is detectable but no symptoms.
Stage three has symptoms and may or may not have spread.
Stage four has symptoms and has spread.
There are some 200 forms of the disease varying from 'pussy cat cats' to 'tigers.'
The pussy cat cats can be lived with, the tigers can't.
Which you have determines the treatment, but both require you to know that you have the disease.
Mine was listed as 'agressive' but even then the early detection meant it had not spread.
Early detection equals survival!

Roy.

Thanks for your kind replies amigos.My first day at treatment and surprise, the lodge I am staying at has internet access as well as pretty fair food. To answer those worried about my morale , worry not . I retain my humour (twisted) and my will to survive (Churchillian). If a black camel tries to kneal at my door , well , it had better keep a sharp eye for counterattacks. Gotta go , snack time. You gotta see this places craft room , safety scissors and glitter, boje moi (my god).

Good luck Mike. I've been there, you are on a journey which we all hope will bring you to a happy ending.
Thinking of you.

Roy.

Back