Mens health and the imagining of invulnerability

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some doctors will not give you a blood test unless you virtually pin them against the wall and give them what for.

This happened to a friend of mine when he suspected something was not right and because he was so persistent the doc give him the blood test, he did have cancer and is now on the road to recovery.

Do not take no for an answer.

Tom

That is unfortunately true, I had the same difficulty with my GP, I too had to insist in the strongest terms.
In England and Wales the Government guide lines state that any man over 50 should recieve a PSA test when he requests.
Some GPs conduct a DRE first rather than a PSA. Neither is conclusive but act as a filter for more advanced procedures.
10000 men die in the UK from PC every year, with early tests virtually none of them need die!
I underwent 6 hrs of physical and psychological tests to ascertain if I was physically and mentally able to withstand the surgery, but NONE of the tests were anywhere near as hard to deal with as breaking the news to my family!

Roy.

Well lads and lasses , been sent home for the weekend. Whether this is for good or weird behavior is uncertain.
The first week of radiation is not supposed to give much in the way of side effects , so still my old cantankerous self. Not slowed down, not mellowed out.
Aside from a crafts room designed for a kindergarten , this lodge I stay at is a very fine place. Folks , food and fun are top notch.
Once per day we get to ride a shuttle bus for about a mile and report to our treatment room. Fifteen minutes on a plastic table while they basically cook little chunks of my insides then back on the bus. The rest of the day is my own.
The lodge has rather strange views on the subject of potables. Since we are indeed adults they have a don't ask don't tell policy on taking a medicinal pint or two. Discretion is highly prized in these endeavors though , owing to the fact that they are a part of the hospital and can't have lines of drunken sots wandering the halls singing sad songs . Fortunately my drinking has evolved beyond the silly syndrome stage of the teen aged years , quite some time ago in fact.
The computer room is beset by enough of the patrons checking e-mails as to make long periods for browsing forums a bit selfish . Nobody would rush me , but I would feel guilty hogging the terminal. And to tell the truth , watching some of my fellow patients try to figure out which is the "any" key fairly drives me from the room.
That said , well , thanks guys for being here, as the couple of hours I have spent catching up on the threads of the week have been a brighter spot that would else be sorely missed. Your thoughts and views cheer me enormously.
Til next time , Ciao.

Hi mike, interesting what you've written, a lot folks look at life from the perspective that they are somehow immortal. I was on dialysis at 17, have had two transplants, been hospitalised every year or two with all sorts of hidious things and just had a bypass and now my chest is wired with titanium. I'm about as immortal as modern medicine can make someone. Just done a couple of hours of tai chi in the beautiful sunshine ... that's life.

interesting thread and I hope the Op is doing ok. I'm puzzled as to what is "men of a certain age" lol. Well, I'm 53 this year and I reckon on the threshold of that criteria maybe, so with that in mind I went to the docs for another matter and mentioned that i would like a PSA test. He didnt disuade me but didnt encourge me either. I eventually went for a blood test for high blood pressure and asked the nurse for a PSA test and she agreed. Reading into everything during this whole process I suspect the reason GPs dont advocate these tests happily is down to financial cost to their practice although I will stand corrected. The main reason the GP gave for no test, was that they are inconclusive and if the test comes back at all positive then what follows next is not very nice!! BUT he did say, a reason to have a test would be because the results will be a marker thus making future tests more relavant if the results are at all differing.

Morning Matt, the PSA test is under £20 to the practise. The GP's dislike is based on the possible inaccuracy of the test.
Many positive tests are shown to be wrong, but better that than the other way round IMO.
What follows a positive test is normally another PSA test some weeks later, if that produces a significantly higher figure what follows is a biopsy.
This is conducted at a hospital of course. I found that it caused me no problems at all, some people may be embarrassed of course but it's done and over in a few minutes.
Glad to hear yours was ok as you are right in the most affected age group, but do have another test in 12 months, it's not just a one off I'm afraid.

Roy.

extending life expectantcy by way of expensive drugs is always going to be an emotive subject. Skiiming through the Sun link there, someone said at the end how can you put a price on a drug when it will give someone an extra few months that may mean they live to see their daughter walk down the aisle etc. Well, there must come a time when extended treatment v cost and its not always going to be cost effective or do we spend whatever it costs in order to extend a life for however long. eg where is the cut off point? £30K for an extra year is ok but £500,000 is too expensive or is no price too expensive? Its a difficult one......

(btw I havnt had the results yet of the blood test but I'm sure I'll be fine!)

and £20 for a PSA test at the Docs? why the hell dont they charge the patient this and make it mandatory at turning 50 - that would save alot of money later on when an unbeknown condition comes on and spreads then needs expensive treatment...

The retired publican – married to Terri and with three daughters, four grandchildren and a great-grandchild – went to the doctors in January 2010, ten weeks after noticing blood in his urine.

All for the sake of a bit of embassment Matt, despite what is above, despite what has happened to Mike, over the next few years we can expect some members of this forum will be in that chap's position. It's terribly sad.

Roy.

Truly spoken Roy , and right to the point of my reason for the original posting. For a minor test to be performed I could now be far more sure of a successful outcome than I am at present. Early detection is key to the most satisfactory conclusions.
On happier note, I am once again paroled for the holidays. Once again ensconced at hearth and home I am given time to reflect on the past week. It would be difficult to say I fit right in with my fellows at the lodge. Far more accurate would be to say that the role of cheerleader/ court jester has fallen to me. In short , still having fun and trying to spread it about.
Regarding treatments , radiation is applied on a daily basis to my nether regions to slow tumor growth. At the same time a judicious application of hormone therapy is given to "starve" the tumors. Side effects of the radiation are thus far minimal, sort of an interior sunburn with some gastric activities thrown in for fun. Proximity of plumbing has become a first thought upon entering any new enviroment. The hormones bring a different set of interesting and unique experiences to light. As I have always been of quite determined gender the thought of hot flashes never seemed a cause for concern. A new understanding of the aging women I know has dawned.
On the subject of how I am bearing up , no problem. My treatments are not nearly as unpleasant as some need to have and the side effects are so slight as to be negligable . Morale is high as well as my expectations of success. You , my fellow forumites are a large part of my positive attitude. Even brief periods of the banter available only here on UK workshop are great for lifting any boredom I might encounter. Good on ya mates , thanks.

Back