Memory foam

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am not sure where to post this so I will try here, I bought a cheap 3 seater settee for the backroom about six months ago for £450, it has 2 cushions filled with memory foam, the size of each cushion is 700 x 700 x 150 but after sitting on it for about 1/2 hour there is a deep hollow in the cushion which takes 10-15 minutes to come back to normal, so I thought it was cheap memory foam, and I would like to replace it with good foam, does anyone have any experience with this, and what sort of foam to get?

Memory foam is supposed to do that. I can see why it is used in beds as you lie in one place for a long time and it moulds to support your body. When you get up and make the bed you would not notice how long the foam takes to recover For seat upholstery I would not use it. Go to a good foam supplier and get them to cut something more suitable that is not a memory foam.
As an aside, I do not like it's use in a mattress as I find it to hot. When I have sourced a mattress topper for the caravan bed I had to source a non memory foam.

Colin

I use efoam.co.uk

Either get them cut to the size of the cover and dacron warped or a dead fit + 12mm across each dimension - this will help fill the cover nicely.

We had a memory foam pillows and a mattress. The pillows lasted one night they were so uncomfortable. The mattress unfortunately was too expensive to throw out but I was happy eventually to see the back of it. Never again. Not very relevant, I know. :LOL:

I have long-standing back problems and we bought memory foam mattresses to try.

After a fair test, I'd say "never again". Wifey found hers too hot when sleeping, my side did mould to suit my "shape", but for me anyway, that was NOT the answer (it seems my "shape" changes a bit during the night - and during the day, come to that).

So back to box springs with different overlays on top, mine's rather soft. Works for me, but one problem is that I THINK (don't KNOW) that we're all different, not only in "shape" but also in terms of how long we keep that same shape.

There doesn't seem to be any way to try before you buy (unlike with some pillows here), so it's a question of take a punt and be prepared to loose a fairly substantial sum - or apparently, to be completely satisfied.

When you go for old style foam, I think the better suppliers will use two grades. stiffer for most of the cushion and a softer 1” layer on top, this prevents too much sinking in. Ian

1638118474673.png

We bought a good quality (Somnus) mattress but also use a 80mm latex topper, the mattress is firm and the latex topper provides an extra layer of softness.

I am not sure where to post this so I will try here, I bought a cheap 3 seater settee for the backroom about six months ago for £450, it has 2 cushions filled with memory foam, the size of each cushion is 700 x 700 x 150 but after sitting on it for about 1/2 hour there is a deep hollow in the cushion which takes 10-15 minutes to come back to normal, so I thought it was cheap memory foam, and I would like to replace it with good foam, does anyone have any experience with this, and what sort of foam to get?
I agree with others that memory foam may not be optimal for a settee.

I also suggest that you take care with choice of other types of foam. Some represent a serious fire risk (flammable and emit toxic fumes), some are comfortable enough initially but will harden and crumble after a few years.

I think unmodified polyurethane foam fits both of those categories, though it can be improved somewhat, but I am not an expert on the matter. I suggest seeking true expert advice -- there is plenty of bad advice available, particularly from people who want to sell you something, also from self-appointed 'experts' on the basis of volume of output rather than checked facts.

https://www.bromley.gov.uk/leaflet/310814/6/402/chand
https://www.firesafe.org.uk/furniture-and-furnishings-fire-safety-regulations-19881989-and-1993/
give a starting point.

Thank you all for your excellent advice, I have asked a lot of suppliers and there are so many different answers it is hard to decide, but I went with Foam Superstore because of the good reviews, (if they can be believed) but that is for another time

Sorry Murphy just missed this, In case anyone else is interested, Don't be feared about fire with foam cushions, they will ALL burn given enough heat, it's just that they will no longer give off cyanide gas like they used to before the Woolworths fire which is when all the laws changed, Foam is now sold with Combustion Modified and Resilience ratings, Standard seat cushions will be rated as CMHR 40 which is Combustion Modified High Resilience foam with a firm feel to it, 30 will be softer and 50 firmer, Not sure if they still make Latex but Pirelli used to make it, it was expensive back in the day so will cost a fortune now but it lasted 3-4 times longer, easiest to call in to a local upholsterer although they are getting a bit thin on the ground as it's a dieing trade due to Chinese inports

Back